new TI-84 calculator coming
01-27-2015, 03:36 PM
new TI-84 calculator coming
Looks like the old TI-84 is finally being updated this spring.

Here
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-27-2015, 04:24 PM
RE: new TI-84 calculator coming
(01-27-2015 03:36 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  Looks like the old TI-84 is finally being updated this spring.

Here

Aaaaagh! It ... looks ... like ... a Prime!

Request to move a thread. Smile
01-27-2015, 04:35 PM
(01-27-2015 04:24 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  
(01-27-2015 03:36 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  Looks like the old TI-84 is finally being updated this spring.

Here

Aaaaagh! It ... looks ... like ... a Prime!

Request to move a thread. Smile

Unfortunately, it will probably "cost" like a prime. But without a CAS.
01-27-2015, 04:45 PM
I'm not convinced that putting rechargeable batteries in a calculator designed for classroom use is a great idea, unless it's got astounding runtime (unlikely with that backlit screen), and ample early warning time that it needs a recharge. Personally, I'd be much more comfortable carrying a spare pack of AAAs so I don't get left stranded during an exam or something.

As an aside, back in high school chemistry around 1998, the teacher insisted we couldn't use "programmable calculators" on exams, referring to the likes of TI-83s and whatnot. So instead of my TI-92, I brought my Sinclair Cambridge Programmable - which I found at a thrift store - and a spare 9-volt battery. The humor of course was that I was using a programmable calculator, but then again, it's not one you can really do much useful programming on it anyway (no constant memory).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-27-2015, 04:55 PM
Ah, who cares? Another pretty, graphical "teaching" calculator of no perceptible use other than pedagogy.

Which is fine, in and of itself, or at least it would be were actual engineering tool calculators still available. Sigh.
01-27-2015, 06:18 PM
That calculator seems to be what the 84+CSE should have been in 2013, with slightly less outdated hardware characteristics...

There's a French version of that model, the 83 Premium Color Edition. It features an exact math engine with special keys that the 84 + Color Edition doesn't have: http://education.ti.com/fr/france/produc...s/overview
Over at TI-Planet, we have published a review of a 83PCE prototype: http://tiplanet.org/forum/viewtopic.php?...85&lang=en
The 83PCE / 84+CE features an eZ80, albeit seemingly at a pretty low clock frequency, given that CPU-bound tasks are not that much faster on the 83PCE (prototype with a development OS) than on the 84+CSE.
01-27-2015, 09:50 PM (This post was last modified: 01-27-2015 09:50 PM by Han.)
One thing that I hate most about the TI84 line is that it is essentially the SAME calculator as it was back the late 80's and early 90's (it existed as the TI-83). Yet this is likely the very reason that the TI84 has such a strong dominance in the US market -- because the learning curve is... well there is none. I am glad to see that the hardware has at least caught with the times, though.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
01-27-2015, 10:46 PM
(01-27-2015 04:45 PM)Dave Britten Wrote:  As an aside, back in high school chemistry around 1998, the teacher insisted we couldn't use "programmable calculators" on exams, referring to the likes of TI-83s and whatnot. So instead of my TI-92, I brought my Sinclair Cambridge Programmable - which I found at a thrift store - and a spare 9-volt battery. The humor of course was that I was using a programmable calculator, but then again, it's not one you can really do much useful programming on it anyway (no constant memory).

Some of my mates are teaching now, and they come from the HP48 era. I'm sure that most of them will think that an HP15C is a harmless toy in an exam...

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)