What is the ultimate HP48 software stackup
02-23-2015, 05:37 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2015 08:29 PM by dfnr2.)
What is the ultimate HP48 software stackup
I have a couple of HP48s Shortys, and an HP48g Alcuin. The 48s units have been internally upgraded with upgraded with two 128K chips, so have a couple of 128K ports to store libraries. I acquired the G much later, as a backup, and never did any upgrades.

I recall installing various libraries to end up with a much more civilized experience on the 48s. I recall having at various points, Java or HPSauce (whicever was more current), Erable, Alg48, EqStack, Jazz, and more. I recall Metakernel coming out as I was using the HP48 less frequently, and there was some obstacle to intsalling it (perhaps it was commercial then, or not for the 48s?). If I understand correctly, Metakernel and some of those other packages became the basis for the HP49G and HP50G, no?

Anyway, I figure that that all those old packages are probably pretty stable by now :-) So, any suggestions on the ultimate software stackup for HP48's in various configurations, of 48S/SX/G/G+/GX, and base 32K RAM only, or one or two 128K ports?

Has this been written up somewhere? Also, is there any recorded documentation of the lineage of those older packages and their relation to the HP49/HP50 software stack?

Thanks in advance!

Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-23-2015, 07:46 PM
RE: What is the HP48 software stackup
(02-23-2015 05:37 PM)dfnr2 Wrote:  I have a couple of HP48s Shortys, and an HP48g Alcuin. The 48s units have been internally upgraded with upgraded with two 128K chips, so have a couple of 128K ports to store libraries. I acquired the G much later, as a backup, and never did any upgrades.

I recall installing various libraries to end up with a much more civilized experience on the 48s. I recall having at various points, Java or HPSauce (whicever was more current), Erable, Alg48, EqStack, Jazz, and more. I recall Metakernel coming out as I was using the HP48 less frequently, and there was some obstacle to intsalling it (perhaps it was commercial then, or not for the 48s?). If I understand correctly, Metakernel and some of those other packages became the basis for the HP49G and HP50G, no?

Anyway, I figure that that all those old packages are probably pretty stable by now :-) So, any suggestions on the ultimate software stackup for HP48's in various configurations, of 48S/SX/G/G+/GX, and base 32K RAM only, or one or two 128K ports?

Has this been written up somewhere? Also, is there any recorded documentation of the lineage of those older packages and their relation to the HP49/HP50 software stack?

Thanks in advance!
Dave

Metakernel was eventually merged into the HP49G, HP49G+ and HP50G ROM. The last version available on the HP48 is now freely available, but it is far from stable. I would recommend Raymond's SpeedUI for improved user interfaces. SpeedUI probably makes all the other stack programs obsolete. However, it is much bigger than, say, Java or HPSauce in terms of memory requirements.

For programming, Jazz is still available for the HP48 series. Jazz is also now available for the HP49G+ and HP50G series (can also run on HP49G but requires ROM 2.09).

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
02-23-2015, 10:43 PM
RE: What is the ultimate HP48 software stackup
(02-23-2015 07:46 PM)Han Wrote:  
(02-23-2015 05:37 PM)dfnr2 Wrote:  [snip]
So, any suggestions on the ultimate software stackup for HP48's in various configurations, of 48S/SX/G/G+/GX, and base 32K RAM only, or one or two 128K ports?

Thanks in advance!
Dave

Metakernel was eventually merged into the HP49G, HP49G+ and HP50G ROM. The last version available on the HP48 is now freely available, but it is far from stable. I would recommend Raymond's SpeedUI for improved user interfaces. SpeedUI probably makes all the other stack programs obsolete. However, it is much bigger than, say, Java or HPSauce in terms of memory requirements.

For programming, Jazz is still available for the HP48 series. Jazz is also now available for the HP49G+ and HP50G series (can also run on HP49G but requires ROM 2.09).

Agree totally with Han, Raymond's SpeedUI is amazing and in a class by itself.

The PPC "Hacker ROM" bundled together Jazz and commonly used Library and system utilities into an easy to install and use pkg. Note that this requires a 128KB RAM card.

Every 48GX user should install Filer48 (avail on hpcalc.org), by far the fastest, most stable and best File Manager for HP-48. The 49/50 File Manager copied much of Filer48, but the older one actually does more; as an example, if Jazz is installed, you can move the cursor to any program (UserRPL or SysRPL, including assembler) and press View and Filer48 instantly decompiles the program into a viewer so you can examine it's source commands. Not quite as powerful as Nosy on the 49/50, but unmatched on the 48. Recommended.

--Bob Prosperi
02-23-2015, 10:46 PM
(02-23-2015 10:43 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Not quite as powerful as Nosy on the 49/50, but unmatched on the 48. Recommended.

I take it you haven't tried Jazz on the 49/50. (I'm a bit biased, of course :-)

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
02-23-2015, 11:30 PM
(02-23-2015 10:46 PM)Han Wrote:  
(02-23-2015 10:43 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Not quite as powerful as Nosy on the 49/50, but unmatched on the 48. Recommended.

I take it you haven't tried Jazz on the 49/50. (I'm a bit biased, of course :-)

I actually haven't really yet. I learned the 50g native tools first, then I went back to the 48G, found it somewhat 'naked' with no compiler, etc. built-in and Joe Horn suggested I look into the "HackerROM" toolset. Thru this, I learned Jazz, etc.

I very briefly loaded Jazz on the 50g and was duly impressed, but not being a serious RPL developer I stopped there as it clearly takes much time to master it, like any good toolkit. I don't recall the exact enhancements, but I do recall noting that 50g Jazz was a large step up from either the 48 version or the native tools, and that it had a capability I mentally thought of as Nosy++.

I do hope to get back to 50g Jazz before too long, and it's good to know assistance may be only 1 post away Wink

So many toys to explore, so little time to play...

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)