Just bought another (new) 50g...
04-27-2015, 12:59 AM
Just bought another (new) 50g...
I just bought a brand-new 50g that I intend to keep as a spare, for when HP finally stops production. It seems a bit silly but there are probably forum members here who wish they had done this with the various HPs they have grown fond of which are now expensive and hard to find - 42s users I am looking at you!

I hope that I am wrong about HP's intentions with this wonderful machine, and that they produce them for many years to come and provide a wealth of new firmware features for their loyal customers, but the price drop to $69 was too hard to resist and it's nice to have a backup just in case.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-28-2015, 03:06 PM
RE: Just bought another (new) 50g...
(04-27-2015 12:59 AM)Sukiari Wrote:  I just bought a brand-new 50g that I intend to keep as a spare, for when HP finally stops production. It seems a bit silly but there are probably forum members here who wish they had done this with the various HPs they have grown fond of which are now expensive and hard to find - 42s users I am looking at you!

I hope that I am wrong about HP's intentions with this wonderful machine, and that they produce them for many years to come and provide a wealth of new firmware features for their loyal customers, but the price drop to $69 was too hard to resist and it's nice to have a backup just in case.

I recently purchased a spare black 50g last March, which was to replace the 50g I traded for a 42s.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-28-2015, 03:14 PM
(04-28-2015 03:06 PM)Eddie W. Shore Wrote:  I recently purchased a spare black 50g last March, which was to replace the 50g I traded for a 42s.

Ouch! You ought to get two or three 50Gs for a 42S at least.

d:-/
04-28-2015, 05:42 PM
I must have misread it... I thought he gave away his 50G to obtain a 42S...

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
04-28-2015, 05:47 PM
(04-28-2015 05:42 PM)Han Wrote:  I must have misread it... I thought he gave away his 50G to obtain a 42S...

Funny! He actually did trade his 50g for a 42s, which seems to cost 5x as much.

And that reminds me I should get a spare of the 50g while they're on sale.
04-28-2015, 05:55 PM
A trade is agreed between two contracting parties to their mutual satisfaction. A multiplicity of factors affect the outcome - I don't charge all my students the same amount, indeed I sometimes give my services for free! Some have even received a free HP 48GX to help them.
04-28-2015, 09:44 PM
(04-27-2015 12:59 AM)Sukiari Wrote:  I just bought a brand-new 50g that I intend to keep as a spare, for when HP finally stops production. It seems a bit silly but there are probably forum members here who wish they had done this with the various HPs they have grown fond of which are now expensive and hard to find - 42s users I am looking at you!

I've been thinking about this too, at $69, two backups are tempting.

Question for the group, should the package be opened to check the keyboard etc before storing?

Mark
04-29-2015, 12:31 AM
(04-28-2015 09:44 PM)MarkMason Wrote:  Question for the group, should the package be opened to check the keyboard etc before storing?

I have thought about this too. I guess the question is - are we buying these "backups" also as potential investments too? A brand new, still-sealed calculator in the original packaging is probably worth more than one that has been opened, if only for a function test.

My conclusion is that I will open the package, do a function test, insert the right kind of SD card (which might be really tough to find in 10-20-30 years), remove *ALL* batteries, and then seal the original package in a Ziploc just in case of a disaster of some kind. Then it's going into the safe!
04-29-2015, 09:13 AM
(04-28-2015 09:44 PM)MarkMason Wrote:  Question for the group, should the package be opened to check the keyboard etc before storing?

I case of investment, the future buyer will want to know if it works, so you will need to open the box prior to shipping. What do you prefer, to know today it is faulty or to discover it 20 years from now?

I'm one of those who buyed two 42S as spares years ago, their boxes were opened.
04-30-2015, 05:43 AM (This post was last modified: 04-30-2015 05:44 AM by MarkHaysHarris777.)

I would not store it; that could actually do more harm than good. I plan to have a backup too (I have at least two of all my HP machines, and I have three WP34s machines). I would use BOTH of your machines; just use one as the primary and one as the secondary (from another location, or another desk).

I have a WP34s in my study, one in the den|comp lab|prototyping room, and one on my drafting table. The drafting table calc is also my man-bag mobile unit (along with one 35s, and my new 50g).

I plan to get another 50g (while supplies are still extant, and prices are looow) but I plan to use BOTH of them. Both of my 'dead' machines died in storage (even with the batteries removed). For one thing electrolyte caps tend to last longer (if it has them) when they are used frequently. The same holds true for LCD displays (use them some and they will last longer). My Sharp graphing calc died (I think due to a bad cap... will be replacing later... let you know). My Sharp (Radio Shack) TRS-80 started to go dark (bad LCD) when I quit using it (rats).

Use them.

Cheers,
marcus
Smile

Kind regards,
marcus
04-30-2015, 04:26 PM
(04-30-2015 05:43 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:  I would not store it; that could actually do more harm than good.

My Sharp (Radio Shack) TRS-80 started to go dark (bad LCD) when I quit using it (rats).

Use them.

The same happened to my old Casio 11 years ago.
04-30-2015, 04:38 PM
(04-30-2015 04:26 PM)Marcio Wrote:  
(04-30-2015 05:43 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:  I would not store it; that could actually do more harm than good.

My Sharp (Radio Shack) TRS-80 started to go dark (bad LCD) when I quit using it (rats).

Use them.

The same happened to my old Casio 11 years ago.

But would it have deteriorated anyway?

I have an unused 41CX tested in December - no problem.

I have some reserve 48GX, unused for c 15 years, tested today - no problem.
05-01-2015, 03:01 PM
(04-30-2015 05:43 AM)MarkHaysHarris777 Wrote:  electrolyte caps tend to last longer (if it has them) when they are used frequently. The same holds true for LCD displays (use them some and they will last longer).

I also recently purchased a backup 50G, and, thanks to the above excellent point, the backup is now in use.

It is interesting to note the change in the case, and nice to see that the newer one's cloth case has a hard layer to protect the display and keys.

These are used to verify unit conversion and math in other people's tech documents and articles. It's interesting to see how many published journal articles and owner's manuals have math errors. I got the backup due to the nice unit-conversion capabilities.

( I also have the 15C from the 80s, which spent many years riding around in the truck to compute fuel efficiency, until one day I realized how stupid that was and how expensive a replacement would be. Now a four-banger is riding in the truck and the 15C is back in use on the desk. )
05-02-2015, 03:42 AM
Marcus,

Thanks for the insight, that option never even occurred to me. Here in humid South Arkansas your points are even more valid. I'm now stoked about getting another 50g and putting it into rotation.

Glad I asked. I love it when a plan comes together !!

Thanks again,

Mark

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)