Can't connect via USB
07-01-2015, 05:35 AM
Can't connect via USB
Hi,

I just got the Prime and it has the 2013 firmware. I'm trying to connect the calculator via the connectivity kit but the calculator does not show on the list. I tried using other cables but it doesn't work.

The calculator charges normally. I don't think the plug is bad.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-01-2015, 08:45 AM
RE: Can't connect via USB
Are you using USB2 or USB3?
USB2 would be better.
07-01-2015, 10:00 AM
It sounds like you may not have the latest update r8151. If not, check out "ftp.hp.com/pub/calculators/Prime/"

USB issues have been addressed in later releases.
07-01-2015, 02:19 PM
I've tried with USB 2.0 in my Mac VM using Windows 8 and also tried on a PC with Windows 7.

How can I install the update if the calculator does not connect to my computer?

Thanks
07-01-2015, 02:51 PM
Rather strange.

I would try this - hold down the SYMB key and while it is held down, poke a pin in the hole on the back. Continue holding it. This will put it into the "update" mode. Note that you cannot get out of this mode except by using a pin.

Once that is in the "updater" mode, connect it to the computer. In your virtual machine, you will probably need to connect the device to the windows instance. Hopefully it will show up in the menu there.

Once it is connected, open the connectivity kit. It should detect in updater mode and ask if you want to update after a short while.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
07-01-2015, 03:01 PM
Tim, I've tried doing this yesterday and got no luck. Will try again and let you know. Thanks
07-01-2015, 07:18 PM
Hello again,

I tried to enter the recovery mode (V13) and plugged it in and nothing show up in the list.

I have 2 USB cables and it didn't work with any of them.

Any other suggestion?
07-01-2015, 08:02 PM
(07-01-2015 02:19 PM)Dands Wrote:  I've tried with USB 2.0 in my Mac VM using Windows 8 and also tried on a PC with Windows 7.

Thanks

If you go to the ftp site I suggested, you should find that there are two executable files, one for the connectivity kit, and one for the virtual calculator. There is also a zip file containing the latest firmware for the hardware calculator.

You can install the updated connectivity kit, because it is an executable pc file. The new software may help you get past the USB issue, in win7. From the new Conn Kit, your Prime should then show up via the USB connection. Good luck!

-Dale-
07-01-2015, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2015 08:13 PM by Dands.)
(07-01-2015 08:02 PM)DrD Wrote:  
(07-01-2015 02:19 PM)Dands Wrote:  I've tried with USB 2.0 in my Mac VM using Windows 8 and also tried on a PC with Windows 7.

Thanks

If you go to the ftp site I suggested, you should find that there are two executable files, one for the connectivity kit, and one for the virtual calculator. There is also a zip file containing the latest firmware for the hardware calculator.

You can install the updated connectivity kit, because it is an executable pc file. The new software may help you get past the USB issue, in win7. From the new Conn Kit, your Prime should then show up via the USB connection. Good luck!

-Dale-

I did install the Connectivity Kit from the website but like I said, the calculator doesn't show up in the devices list in the program.

Do you guys know if the cable must be the original one? I got this calculator for a 2nd hand seller and I think she could've sent the wrong USB cable. Will it work JUST with the original cable?

The cables I have are trapezoidal (A). Should I use the B type as mentioned here?

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-477.html
07-01-2015, 08:13 PM (This post was last modified: 07-01-2015 08:23 PM by jebem.)
(07-01-2015 07:18 PM)Dands Wrote:  Hello again,

I tried to enter the recovery mode (V13) and plugged it in and nothing show up in the list.

I have 2 USB cables and it didn't work with any of them.

Any other suggestion?

I would not use Windows inside a VM on Mac until I could fix the issue.

Assuming that the Prime is not defective:

1. I would try another PC with Windows 7 on a powered USB v2 port.

2. Make sure your Windows user account has full administration privileges.

3. Start by installing the HP connectivity kit in first place, then run it and check for updates.

4. Despite not being necessary here, a Windows reboot can do miracles sometimes.
So, a quick reboot at this point can't do any harm.

5. Run the Connectivity kit utility.

6. Plug in the calculator to the PC on a powered USB version 2 port.

6.1. When plugin in the calculator for the first time on a Windows 7 PC, give it some time to let the Windows detect the new device.
You should be able to see a message in the windows task bar related to the device recognition process.

6.2. If one USB v2 port doesn't work with the calculator, I would try a different USB v2 port.

EDIT:
According to other people, like Joe Horn have mentioned, "It's a standard USB 2 "A" to "Micro-B" cable, available everywhere"
http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-477...ml#pid3198

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

07-01-2015, 08:28 PM
The cable I have is USB to "Micro-B" (trapezoidal). This is the most common one indeed.

Should it work or it must be the Micro-A type?

Thanks
07-01-2015, 08:35 PM
Yes, it should work.

I've never seen a cable that will charge, but won't connect. If you do happen to have another one, maybe give that a try?

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
07-01-2015, 08:43 PM
(07-01-2015 08:35 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  Yes, it should work.

I've never seen a cable that will charge, but won't connect. If you do happen to have another one, maybe give that a try?

This is really strange. Did you ever see a problem like that? Do you believe my USB port is broken?

I don't see other solutions for now. I will try it again on Win7 but I think I'm going to return this to the seller.
07-02-2015, 04:34 AM
I used another generic (and super cheap) USB cable and it worked.

Thanks for your help guys.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)