Complex numbers calculation
07-08-2015, 05:28 PM
Complex numbers calculation
Hello everyone,

I have different problems with complex calcultions with my HP Prime.

I know how to use RE(), IM(), ABS() for complex numbers that are defined by numbers, like 3+2*i. I also know how to sotck them into Z0, Z1 etc.

But I would want to to the same for complex numbers that are defined by characters, like a+b*i.

Could someone help me with that?

In the picture, you will see that I tried to stock and to find the real part of a complex number, but it doesn't work.

The idea is that I put my complex number in my HP Prime and that I get its real part, imaginary part and absolute value.

Thank you in advance for your help

Xavier

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-08-2015, 11:00 PM
RE: Complex numbers calculation
Your question is:

"If I have a complex FUNCTION, can the algebraic form of its real and imaginary parts be obtained."

I don't think that the HP prime does that.

However, if you define values for the variables in your complex function (e.g. C=1, R=2, etc). Then, using Re and Im will return the associated the numerical values.

Bill
07-09-2015, 12:31 AM
RE: Complex numbers calculation
The variables you're using in your formula (W, C, R, L) are predefined global variables with a default value of 0, this is why you get 0 in both cases as the result is evaluated to 0.

You can get a symbolic form in CAS mode if you use variables that are not defined, for example with lower case names:

the same way you cannot store a symbolic formula in Z1 which is predefined as a complex numeric variable, but you can store it in z1.

Note: you don't need to take a picture of the screen of your Prime, you can get a screen shot from the connectivity kit with a right click on your Prime name in the left window, or directly from the virtual calc in the Edit menu.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)