What's up with the clock?
07-25-2015, 08:55 PM
What's up with the clock?
Hello all,

I just received my HP Prime yesterday (G8X92AA 2015 Version) and I have been having a great time exploring the Prime for spreadsheets and programming.

One thing I noticed is that the clock loses time over time. It appears that the clock lost something between 30-45 minutes from yesterday afternoon until this afternoon. Is this "normal?" Will I have to check the clock everyday and enter whatever correction is needed?

Thanks very much, in advance, for your patience and advice.

smp
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2015, 10:17 PM
RE: What's up with the clock?
Mine is less than a minute out & it was set a month or two ago.

Regards
07-25-2015, 10:51 PM
My clock stays fairly accurate also.
07-25-2015, 10:59 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2015 11:26 PM by smp.)
OK, I hear that you guys are not having an issue with the clock.

Is there something that I could have done that might have held up the clock while I was doing it? Since I am a total newbie with this calculator, I have been doing lots of things that end up with errors of one sort or another. Is it possible that when I connected my Prime to my computer with the HP Connectivity Kit that the clock was delayed?

smp
07-26-2015, 05:09 AM
(07-25-2015 10:59 PM)smp Wrote:  Is it possible that when I connected my Prime to my computer with the HP Connectivity Kit that the clock was delayed?

Yes, because the Connectivity Kit synchronizes the calculator's clock with your computer's clock. I don't know the complete list of Connectivity Kit actions that initiate that synchronization, but one action that does it for sure is right-clicking the calculator and selecting "Refresh". Try it; set the Prime's clock to something goofy, then hit Refresh, and see Prime's clock suddenly agree with your computer's clock.

Needless to say, if your computer's clock is inaccurate, then of course Prime will thereafter be inaccurate too. But if your computer's clock is correct, and your Prime's clock is still drifting terribly, then something else is amiss.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-26-2015, 01:25 PM
Hi Joe,

Thanks very much for the suggestion.

Today, everything seems to be alright with my clock. I must have done something goofy during the first day to affect the clock.

smp
08-17-2015, 02:58 AM
This thread helped me set my calculator clock. I'd much prefer that the clock was synced as soon as a connection is established through the con kit. Finding refresh is not intuitive.
08-17-2015, 03:06 AM
(08-17-2015 02:58 AM)ebswift Wrote:  This thread helped me set my calculator clock. I'd much prefer that the clock was synced as soon as a connection is established through the con kit.

It definitely was the original design and I know it was doing this for a very long time. It is possible that this changed unintentionally in the last release of the software. I will check on it and get it put back if that is the case.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
08-17-2015, 09:00 AM
Yeah, I'm sure it was doing it before. Thanks Tim.
08-17-2015, 09:03 AM
(08-17-2015 03:06 AM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  
(08-17-2015 02:58 AM)ebswift Wrote:  This thread helped me set my calculator clock. I'd much prefer that the clock was synced as soon as a connection is established through the con kit.
It definitely was the original design and I know it was doing this for a very long time. It is possible that this changed unintentionally in the last release of the software. I will check on it and get it put back if that is the case.
Is there an option to disable this behaviour?

Automatic synchronization of the clock is certainly very convenient in most cases, but I can think of scenarios, where relative clock accuracy on the calculator over certain known periods of time is much more important than absolute accuracy and where "accidently" changing the clock on the calculator might mess up on-going calculations involving time or may render measurement data useless, if their relative distance in time isn't known and cannot be reconstructed any more. So, as with most features, there should be an option to disable it (ideally on the calculator rather than in CK, so the "don't sync clock" flag can be set programmatically in kind of a mutex if needed).

Greetings,

Matthias

--
"Programs are poems for computers."
08-19-2015, 09:26 AM
(07-26-2015 05:09 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(07-25-2015 10:59 PM)smp Wrote:  Is it possible that when I connected my Prime to my computer with the HP Connectivity Kit that the clock was delayed?

[...]
Try it; set the Prime's clock to something goofy, then hit Refresh, and see Prime's clock suddenly agree with your computer's clock.
[...]

Do you mean F5 or Ctrl-F5 by Refresh? If so I don't see any difference.
08-19-2015, 11:02 AM
With USB connection to the Connectivity Kit, right click on the calculator name. Select "Refresh" from the drop down list of choices. It will sync the calculator clock with the computer time.

-Dale-

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)