HP-50 Emulator timeout
08-14-2015, 04:37 AM
HP-50 Emulator timeout
Does anyone know how to disable the timeout in the HP-50 Emulators? Since I have my emulators on my PC, I would rather not have them timeout.

Thanks!
Jim
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-14-2015, 06:40 AM
RE: HP-50 Emulator timeout
You could try storing a large hexadecimal value in the variable TOFF in the home directory, works on the real calculator.
08-14-2015, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 08-14-2015 03:14 PM by Hlib.)
(08-14-2015 06:40 AM)Gerald H Wrote:  You could try storing a large hexadecimal value in the variable TOFF in the home directory, works on the real calculator.
Works well:
Code:

# FFFFFFh "TOFF" STO
approx. 33 min before timeout, for example.
Edit
# FFFFFFh 'TOFF' STO
08-14-2015, 02:23 PM
(08-14-2015 01:11 PM)Hlib Wrote:  Works well:
Code:

# FFFFFFh "TOFF" STO
approx. 33 min before timeout, for example.

For those who might not be as familiar with RPL, note that single quotes should be used around the TOFF variable name instead of the double quotes shown above. Otherwise you'll receive a "STO Error: Bad Argument Type".

More about TOFF than you ever wanted to know:

The largest useable value that TOFF can hold on a 50g with ROM version 2.15 is #6FFFFFFFh, which translates to about 2.65 days. Larger values will be ignored and the default 5 minute timeout will apply.

The smallest useable value is #A000h (5 seconds). Any smaller number is ignored and a default value of 5 seconds will apply. This was implemented as a safety feature to insure that the user would have time to do things before the system powered down (like perhaps deleting an inappropriate TOFF variable Smile ).

The "active" TOFF value is whichever one is first found in the current PATH, or a default of 5 minutes if none is present. If you only want to have one, put it in your HOME directory so that it will always be found. Note that this allows you to have different TOFF settings for different directories, and simply changing the current PATH will "activate" whichever one is present there.
08-14-2015, 08:36 PM
Awesome, thank you!

Jim

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)