Casio FP-602 and the FP-10 printer
10-19-2015, 01:36 AM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2015 04:29 AM by Geoff Quickfall.)
Casio FP-602 and the FP-10 printer
I have a fully functioning 602 programmable Casio calculator, the printer and the interface for the cassette deck.

All work but I only have one roll of the 'spark printer' paper. Anyone know of a source for spark paper.

This is not thermal paper but aluminum coated paper (wikipedia: spark printing).

Found 20 rolls on eBay. Should be enough for a few lifetimes.

Cheers, Geoff
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-19-2015, 09:18 PM
RE: Casio FP-602 and the FP-10 printer
(10-19-2015 01:36 AM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  I have a fully functioning 602 programmable Casio calculator, the printer and the interface for the cassette deck.

All work but I only have one roll of the 'spark printer' paper. Anyone know of a source for spark paper.

This is not thermal paper but aluminum coated paper (wikipedia: spark printing).

Found 20 rolls on eBay. Should be enough for a few lifetimes.

Cheers, Geoff

I've been searching for this paper for a long time, no success. I once bought another FP 10 for the only reason that it came with a couple of paper rolls. So if you can get those on ebay at a reasonable price buy them. Reasonable price means much more money than for thermal paper.

Günter

PS: how is planning for Vancouver doing? Smile
10-21-2015, 09:24 AM
Hi Geoff,

2 years ago i bought a 5 pack from Ribbons Unlimited ( http://www.ribbonsunlimited.com ) for 9.95 : EA22R Casio HR10 Thermal paper 5PK Rolls. The total including shipping to Europe was 15.94.

While the description says 'Thermal' it is aluminium coated !
It works fine in my FP-10.

I
Cheers, Marc.
10-21-2015, 09:28 AM
Hi Geoff,

I just saw the price went up to 14.95 for 5 rolls.

Cheers, Marc.
10-21-2015, 09:09 PM
Thanks,

Saw the same cost! So still around.

Gunter, paper,work being assembled for HHC2016 and Vancouver, working on 4 hotels near the airport.

Cheers, Geoff
11-26-2019, 08:59 PM
Having recently come into possession of one of these printers, I'm on the look out for some of the paper rolls.

I wonder if rolls for a Sinclair ZX Printer (maybe sold by Timex in the USA) could be cut down to size, as they might be easier to find.

— Ian Abbott
04-23-2023, 12:07 AM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2023 12:08 AM by Jlouis.)
(11-26-2019 08:59 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  Having recently come into possession of one of these printers, I'm on the look out for some of the paper rolls.

I wonder if rolls for a Sinclair ZX Printer (maybe sold by Timex in the USA) could be cut down to size, as they might be easier to find.

I wonder if you ever found these rolls?

The site for the link above does not have them anymore, nor I found on eBay.

Looks like the only way to buy them is to purchase one Fp-10 new, that comes with one roll.
04-23-2023, 06:05 AM
The Casio part number for FP-10 paper is CMP-36x5.

36 was for 36mm wide (1-25/64") and had 5 rolls per box. Each roll was right at 1 inch (25.4mm) diameter.

The paper also fit the Casio HR-10. (plain -10, there were -10C and -10RC, but use different paper)

Not to promote "expenseBay" and I have no association with the sellers, but if you search CMP36x5 you will see several active offers: 144930882742, 354602101166. I haven't checked blama-your-check-book-zon. Not to bad-mouth them, have often got exceptional deals, but seems just as often you'd go broke shopping there.

The listing number 144930882742 "Lot of 2 Rolls of Casio Calculator Roll Paper - CMP-36x5 - 5 Rolls *New Free S/H" has a confusing title. Verified with the seller it is actually 2 BOXES of 5 rolls (10 rolls total). Verified the quantity for the benefit of an out of USA party. I will not be buying the paper. Its been long enough ago the non-USA party should have made a purchase by now, if interested.

There are current manufacturers of electrosensitive paper in India and Switzerland. Am trying to get info on their products. One is a medical provider, so likely it'll be an arm, leg and kitchen sink price per roll. But don't have prices yet.

I assume it will likely take weeks to get things figured out. But hoping to purchase some paper. As an informational item it appears various sizes are available:
57mm: number of Sharp products
60mm: Olivetti Divisumma 18/28, Sinclair ZX
8.5" (216mm): TI "teletype"-silent terminals and Apple SilentWriter (or whatever it was called). The Apple device printed an 8" line, but actually used 8.5" paper.

If anything develops, definately will post on this site and pass along the info to various individuals.

Interestingly (don't recall all details) numerous products from early FAX units, computer, medical, lab instrumentation to .... (old gaming products?) used electrosensitive paper. Searching for electrosensitive paper often fails. However, if you search by vendor product name and/or paper size sometimes get you something. Try searches in inches and metric measurements (not specifying paper type). For example if you want 3" paper, you need to search for 3", 76mm, 76.5mm or 77mm. Depending on the vendor 3" could be listing as 3 different sizes in metric.

Hopefully, that helps.
04-23-2023, 03:48 PM
(04-23-2023 06:05 AM)Duane Hess Wrote:  Hopefully, that helps.

Thanks Duane, those details always helps.

But unfortunately, my search on eBay for your tips you gave shows nothing for me. Maybe it's a regional thing, I'm in Brazil.

If you find something, I will appreciate if you can share it us.
I will still be searching.

Thanks again.

Cheers
04-23-2023, 04:48 PM
The sellers are both in the USA. I'm in the USA and always select worldwide for item location on that left-side menu. So don't think about non-USA folks. Can say its nothing personal, just habit.

When the CMP-36x5 search fails, do the same, select Worldwide for Item Location.

The 2 sellers list USA, but don't explicitly say USA only. However, a small list of excluded foreign locations is listed:
Excludes: APO/FPO, Alaska/Hawaii, Barbados, French Guiana, French Polynesia, Guadeloupe, Libya, Martinique, New Caledonia, Reunion, Russian Federation, US Protectorates, Ukraine, Venezuela
Excludes: Barbados, French Guiana, French Polynesia, Guadeloupe, Libya, Martinique, New Caledonia, Reunion, Russian Federation, Ukraine, Venezuela

Purchased overseas numerous times when international shipping was not listed. A note to the seller and a couple days to estimate shipping. Different scenarios of how it worked out, but generally never any tedium. Acquired overseas this way at least 20 times over the decades and only a couple times was declined.
04-23-2023, 06:09 PM
As usual. My brain doesn't work. If they don't list international shipping selecting worldwide probably won't solve the problem.

By hook or by crook there were occasions where I knew there was an eBay sale outside the USA. Probably from a Google search. I would figure out the weblink for the country (usually in the same Google search result). Then deal with "I can't read it", but page arrangements are almost identical to the USA pages.

Once on the non-USA eBay I search for the item and get the sellers name. Surprisingly, if you go back to the USA (or your native) site and do an advanced search for "by seller", you often get a bunch of stuff, because international shipping is listed.

Now that I think about it, sellers often don't (forget?) to list international on all their items. For review, just tried this. Went to ebay.co.uk and searched for cmp-36x5, received nothing. Selected worldwide, still nothing. Went to advanced search, cleared cmp-36x5 from the top box, clicked by seller. Filled in the seller name and received 604 items where that seller listed international shipping. Went back to advanced search added the word paper to the top box, received a number of items, but not the Casio paper hoped for.

The other seller has one international result. And only 3 USA results.

So I assume the 604 items seller simply forgot/didn't bother to indicate international(?). And guess on the other seller.

----------------------------------------

Sometimes, out of being too stubborn to accept failure, go to the eBay foreign site, which I can't read. But for many items the brand name and part number are in English (at least to me). Do a search, which I can't read, but get a item number and the seller name. Then send the seller a message about the item number from the USA page. This works when I get results from the scenario immediately above and have a "contact seller" to click on.

When the "604 items" scenario doesn't work, hence no contact seller to click I try the following. Open up the USA page because I can read it and know where to click. Open the foreign page and log in--which always surprised me my USA account/password works. Search, send a message from the foreign site (in English) and get a response in my USA messages. Always wondered who does the translation because I always get responses in English.

..... this is turning out to be more of a "gee-this-is-difficult.Bay" lesson. Don't want to infringe on any external site policies promoting sales elsewhere. I'm certainly not involved in them.
However, maybe the above will be useful to someone in locating that elusive HP-9120A paper!

Maybe this should be in a private messages. But will provide the item numbers and seller names as number of people have posted in this thread. If I get beat up by a moderator..... well I've heard they don't draw blood here.

salvage_acquisitions 144930882742
pfiscla 354602101166
04-23-2023, 07:36 PM
(04-23-2023 12:07 AM)Jlouis Wrote:  
(11-26-2019 08:59 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  Having recently come into possession of one of these printers, I'm on the look out for some of the paper rolls.

I wonder if you ever found these rolls?

Looks like the only way to buy them is to purchase one Fp-10 new, that comes with one roll.

I didn't bother going down the Sinclair ZX Printer route.

I have 10 rolls of paper (2 boxes of 5, one roll partially used) for a Boots PD-525 calculator (probably a rebadged Sharp or something) that came with a Casio HR-10 from eBay.

I also have 4 rolls (from a box of 5) of Sharp EA-22R paper from a seller who was retiring from running a stationary shop. These rolls look like they fit the Casio spark printers OK as they are the same outside dimensions but have a slightly larger diameter spool hole in the middle.

Bonus: I found a short video of the Casio HR-10 printing calculator with a close-up of the spark printing in action:

— Ian Abbott
04-23-2023, 10:18 PM
Hi Duane,

Thanks for the reply, very appreciated.

The links worked ok, I saved the items, just in case, for I found a non working HR-10 with a box of 5 rolls included in an auction site in my country.

Let's see if it will work ok when it arrives.

Thanks again for your help.

Cheers JL
04-23-2023, 10:37 PM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2023 10:46 PM by Jlouis.)
(04-23-2023 07:36 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  
(04-23-2023 12:07 AM)Jlouis Wrote:  I wonder if you ever found these rolls?

I have 10 rolls of paper (2 boxes of 5, one roll partially used) for a Boots PD-525 calculator (probably a rebadged Sharp or something) that came with a Casio HR-10 from eBay.

I also have 4 rolls (from a box of 5) of Sharp EA-22R paper from a seller who was retiring from running a stationary shop. These rolls look like they fit the Casio spark printers OK as they are the same outside dimensions but have a slightly larger diameter spool hole in the middle.

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply.

I went to the same route as you, buying a HR-10 for the rolls.

I found interesting what you wrote about the Sharp paper, I found them on auction on TAS and saved it, just in case I could not get mine's, but let's us know if the Sharp rolls do fit in the Casios' printer. No need to rush, just for reference for if in the future when anybody wants to find these rare sparklers rolls.

Thanks again!

Cheers

JL

P.S.: just for the records, I'm in search for this rolls to use with the FX-702P, but reading Geoffs first post I'm feeling the itching to buy a
FX-602P....oh gosh....this does not have cure...
04-24-2023, 08:46 PM (This post was last modified: 04-24-2023 09:26 PM by ijabbott.)
(04-23-2023 10:37 PM)Jlouis Wrote:  
(04-23-2023 07:36 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  I also have 4 rolls (from a box of 5) of Sharp EA-22R paper from a seller who was retiring from running a stationary shop. These rolls look like they fit the Casio spark printers OK as they are the same outside dimensions but have a slightly larger diameter spool hole in the middle.

I found interesting what you wrote about the Sharp paper, I found them on auction on TAS and saved it, just in case I could not get mine's, but let's us know if the Sharp rolls do fit in the Casios' printer. No need to rush, just for reference for if in the future when anybody wants to find these rare sparklers rolls.

I haven't tried the Sharp EA-22R rolls yet, but this see post #3 above where Marc van Lemmen appears to have used them on a FP-10 printer back a few years ago.

EDIT: I have tried a Sharp EA-22R roll in a FP-10 printer now (connected to a FX-702P) and it prints just as good as with the Casio rolls.

— Ian Abbott
04-24-2023, 11:36 PM
(04-24-2023 08:46 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  I haven't tried the Sharp EA-22R rolls yet, but this see post #3 above where Marc van Lemmen appears to have used them on a FP-10 printer back a few years ago.

EDIT: I have tried a Sharp EA-22R roll in a FP-10 printer now (connected to a FX-702P) and it prints just as good as with the Casio rolls.

Really good news, thanks Ian,

now we have one more option to acquire these rolls, and this information is registered here for future reference.

Cheers

JL
04-29-2023, 03:56 PM
Hi:

Have a curiosity question. I can understand where people purchase a used calc just to get the paper. Makes sense purchasing a calc local (or same continent) just for the paper, considering international shipping.

Wondering as I obtained some "silverized" electrosensitive paper usable in an Olivetti Divisumma 18 from Poland. After shipping, it was a bit much, but not bad. Needless to say the Olivetti's are not cost effective to purchase just for paper. Any TAS listings for the original Olivetti typically were way more per roll.

Just for curiosity, would anyone be interested in sharing what you paid for the total package, including shipping and how many rolls you received as a result? No need to convert to USD-$, I can do that.
05-05-2023, 12:25 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2023 01:53 AM by Duane Hess.)
Just dawned on me the question in my previous post isn't what I was asking. They way its worded the question is what folks paid for Olivetti brand paper.

What I meant to ask is for those of you who bought a calc (i.e. Casio HR-10) just to get the paper what did you pay? For the calc, number of rolls and shipping.

Just trying to resolve in my mind whether to persue leads with a few paper manufacturers or bid my time and wait for TAS type sales.

thanks
05-06-2023, 02:09 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2023 02:12 PM by ijabbott.)
(05-05-2023 12:25 AM)Duane Hess Wrote:  Just dawned on me the question in my previous post isn't what I was asking. They way its worded the question is what folks paid for Olivetti brand paper.

What I meant to ask is for those of you who bought a calc (i.e. Casio HR-10) just to get the paper what did you pay? For the calc, number of rolls and shipping.

Just trying to resolve in my mind whether to persue leads with a few paper manufacturers or bid my time and wait for TAS type sales.

thanks

In 2020, I paid UK£ 13.50 plus 3.50 shipping for a Casio HR-10 with 8 rolls of paper (for a Boots PD-525 calculator, but fine for the Casio HR-10 and FP-10) from eBay. I think I got lucky!

— Ian Abbott

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)