Swissmicros: it's time for the DM41L
12-04-2015, 06:41 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2015 11:27 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
Swissmicros: it's time for the DM41L
Alas, still a landscape format! :(

[Image: dm41l_large.png]

[Image: dm41l_back_large.png]

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2015, 07:55 AM
RE: Swissmicros: it's time for the DM41L
Ok, nice but not breathtaking. LCD is better readable than 14 segments for sure. Keyboard layout looks debatable.

Anyway, enjoy!

d:-)
Find all posts by this user
12-04-2015, 04:53 PM
Looks nice. That keyboard layout would take some time getting used to.

Anyone buy one yet?
12-04-2015, 08:34 PM
(12-04-2015 04:53 PM)Dwight Sturrock Wrote:  Anyone buy one yet?

Yes, I just ordered one. It is probably the least needed tool in my arsenal, I have calculators all over the place (most are HP's) but who can resist such a temptation?
12-04-2015, 11:06 PM
How do the keyboards for the "L" models compare with the credit card size ones (the latter being a bit ordinary)? (Trying to decide whether to acquire a DM41-CC or DM41L...)
12-04-2015, 11:15 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2015 11:16 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
(12-04-2015 11:06 PM)JimP Wrote:  (Trying to decide whether to acquire a DM41-CC or DM41L...)

If you do not need a credit card sized unit, go with the "L" model.

Greetings,
    Massimo

12-05-2015, 12:03 AM
(12-04-2015 07:55 AM)walter b Wrote:  Ok, nice but not breathtaking. LCD is better readable than 14 segments for sure. Keyboard layout looks debatable.

Anyway, enjoy!

It would really be breathtaking if it had the full x-memory and if all the modules available elsewhere could be loaded into RAM and arbitrary configured like in the CL.

Günter

Michael, some work is waiting still Smile
12-05-2015, 02:08 AM
(12-05-2015 12:03 AM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  
(12-04-2015 07:55 AM)walter b Wrote:  Ok, nice but not breathtaking. LCD is better readable than 14 segments for sure. Keyboard layout looks debatable.

Anyway, enjoy!

It would really be breathtaking if it had the full x-memory and if all the modules available elsewhere could be loaded into RAM and arbitrary configured like in the CL.

Günter

Günter;

Or maybe a functionally unlimited main memory, with any applicable x-functions and at least the 'store data file' instruction from the I/O module, usb, plus a multi line screen. Oops. I think i just described the 43s.

I know that a five line 14 segment screen is just too much to ask for, but wouldn't that be pretty?

See you in Vancouver. - den
12-05-2015, 07:24 AM

Nothing is better readable than the 41's segment display on the FULLNuts.
12-05-2015, 07:47 AM
Ángel, my Fullnuts lack batteries so I can't verify though I believe in your statement contrastwise. Nevertheless, letters on a dot matrix will always be better readable than on whatever segment display - in particular lower case ones. Just for explanation what I meant.

12-05-2015, 08:49 PM
Nice ! Just placed an order, this is the perfect christmas gift for this year.

I wonder if Swissmicros would consider making models with a backlit screen.
Also, I'd like to see a landscape version of the WP-34S and maybe an actual 43S there :-)
12-05-2015, 10:14 PM
(12-05-2015 02:08 AM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  
(12-05-2015 12:03 AM)Guenter Schink Wrote:  It would really be breathtaking if it had the full x-memory and if all the modules available elsewhere could be loaded into RAM and arbitrary configured like in the CL.

Günter

Günter;

Or maybe a functionally unlimited main memory, with any applicable x-functions and at least the 'store data file' instruction from the I/O module, usb, plus a multi line screen. Oops. I think i just described the 43s.

I know that a five line 14 segment screen is just too much to ask for, but wouldn't that be pretty?

See you in Vancouver. - den

Nice try Den Smile

but seriously, having the full size x-memory doesn't sound to exotic. It was once available in the DM-41cc. Unfortunately Michael had to remove it due to software issues.

Concerning the availability of all the modules or ROMs we see the solution Monte has provided. So in theory it could be possible in the DM-41L too. Perhaps Michael could license the software necessary from Monte and add some flash memory Smile

Günter

There were no news about Vancouver recently. Let's keep our fingers crossed it will happen there!
12-05-2015, 11:07 PM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2015 11:08 PM by Vtile.)
Nicee... Did 41 were good at complex numbers? I see there is R>P and P>R keys (polar to rectangular?), but I seem to not spot anything that would promise complex calculus (which I assume is there).
12-06-2015, 02:42 AM
The 41 doesn't do any complex mathematics.

The maths module had some routines for complex operations but there were a bit cumbersome. Angel has written a superb module that has great complex support but you'll need extra hardware to use it (41CL or one of the programmable modules).

- Pauli
12-06-2015, 09:35 AM
(12-05-2015 07:47 AM)walter b Wrote:  Ángel, my Fullnuts lack batteries so I can't verify though I believe in your statement contrastwise. Nevertheless, letters on a dot matrix will always be better readable than on whatever segment display - in particular lower case ones. Just for explanation what I meant.

You're right the definition and character capability is far better in dot-matrix LCDs.
For vision-impaired folks like myself however the contrast and clarity of the segments in the 41 LCD is a trade off that I made very happily.
12-06-2015, 04:04 PM
A few ideas (Michael, are you reading?):

1. Run HP-IL over USB by using the PIL-Box protocol so both are interchangeable
  2. Add a way to implement at least a few essential modules like CCD OS/X or equivalent

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html
12-06-2015, 04:24 PM
(12-06-2015 04:04 PM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  A few ideas (Michael, are you reading?):

2. Add a way to implement at least a few essential modules like CCD OS/X or equivalent
  • Update the nut en-decoder for the other models, including the 41
  • Revise the 41 keyboard layout

Greetings,
    Massimo

12-06-2015, 06:57 PM
(12-06-2015 04:04 PM)Marcus von Cube Wrote:  A few ideas (Michael, are you reading?):

Agree with both, great suggestions Marcus! Few other enhancements add as much value and flexibility for any 41 user today, imho.

--Bob Prosperi
12-07-2015, 03:35 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2015 03:35 PM by toml_12953.)
(12-04-2015 06:41 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Alas, still a landscape format! Sad

I ordered one last night. I'd still like one that could use port modules like the card reader and printer, though!

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
12-07-2015, 06:00 PM
(12-07-2015 03:35 PM)toml_12953 Wrote:  I ordered one last night. I'd still like one that could use port modules like the card reader and printer, though!
Tom L

That's exactly what we all said about the 42s, but like you; we all bought one.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)