Dream machine 2017?
06-18-2016, 08:35 AM
Dream machine 2017?
I was just wondering, wishing, and dreaming:

Matlab seems to be a popular tool in the world of education. Handheld devices have reached quite a level of sophistication. Connectivity and speed makes web communication practical, and the human machine interface is getting better all the time. So, with the range of available, (or practical concepts), what would a stand alone, (handheld), prime replacement, look like as a 2017 dream machine? (Oh, and also, let's make it dual purpose this time: cover the needs of both academic and professional users!

1. Display: (the current prime display seems ok)?
2. Architecture: (CPU, Memory, keyboard, I/O)?
3. Core software with add-on modules Matlab-like?
4. Cost expectation?

The prime has a lot of capability, but I constantly run into greater need, or inadequate understanding of existing power within this machine. There is much room for improvement. I would like to calculate, model, simulate, opto-control I/O, and network, both web and share. I want interactive help files that support my use activity, by providing definition, example, and alternative commands. I want to see a daylight visible color display, and interface with a handy keyboard. Provide for third party created addons, while protecting the core hardware / software (security).

I want all of this for $200 or less. For a really robust device, I would be interested up to $1000 device cost, and possibly pay extra for specialty add ons, similar to Matlab's marketing strategy.

Oh well, dream on, right?

-Dale-
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-18-2016, 08:51 AM (This post was last modified: 06-18-2016 08:52 AM by René Franquinet.)
RE: Dream machine 2017?
Why should this only be a dream? Considering the incredible (dream?) development of e.g. smartphones, a "smartcalc" as you depict it, could be possible. There is only one drawback: how many people will buy such a machine? I think a "smartcalc" built into a smartphone, will be the future. A multipurpose device is much more attractive and affordable than a calculator only. And, as has been done with the fantastic WP34S: the community constantly will improve possibilties and accuracy.
06-18-2016, 10:44 AM
I understand your point, and it makes good sense. I think there is still room for a dedicated special purpose device. I'm thinking about multitasking: using the smartphone at the same time as the dream machine. Also a dedicated keyboard seems like a good idea, to me.

-Dale-
06-18-2016, 10:41 PM
Why do I use a real calculator? I have a PC, a tablet, a mobile phone and all of them have one disadvantage: they have no real calculator-keyboard. Tapping on a screen with no real tactile feedback is something I don't like. So my dream machine would be a mobile with a mathematical keyboard (slide out), a full HD-display, enough memory (which usually is obsolete today) and a full implementation of RPL ( no system RPL necessary as even mobiles today are fast enough).
Arno
06-19-2016, 12:15 AM
How about something based on the Raspberry Pi Three which already is a very powerful machine. Call it The Open Calculator Project. Use Kickstarter to get the Funding.
06-19-2016, 07:57 AM (This post was last modified: 06-19-2016 09:00 AM by StephenG1CMZ.)
"Is the display OK?"

For a dream machine, the Prime display is not big enough - it should be at least VGA rather than quarter-VGA resolution (and preferably HD, even if only on emulators rather than the real hardware).
I did manage to squeeze in a periodic table on the existing display, but it was a squeeze.

i would love to see a Raspberry Pi with HDMI, 1GB RAM, 32 GB SD card, a choice of programming languages, free Mathematica...and a HP Prime emulation, packaged up with a touchscreen into a calculator-sized gadget. Right now, all that's missing is the Prime emulation and a bit of packaging.

Expected Cost? retail costs might be
35 raspi
65 touchscreen (cheaper ones exist)
45 case/battery pack?
15 hp prime emulator
160 Total

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-19-2016, 11:17 AM
(06-18-2016 08:35 AM)DrD Wrote:  I was just wondering, wishing, and dreaming:

-Dale-

I'd like real WiFi (not some limited "educational" wireless network) and printing capability. If I could print to an HP AirPrint device (like Apple's iPhone, iPad and iPod can), I wouldn't need an actual physical connection to a printer.

If I had those two things, I wouldn't need any other calculator.

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)