Goodies Disks what a gem of resources..
09-01-2016, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2016 07:32 PM by Vtile.)
Goodies Disks what a gem of resources..
Hello,

I have now owned my 50g (which is my first HP calc) about 2 years and I just today "found" (read did take a time to really read through first 4 DOCs) the goodies disks for HP48sx (is sx for sucks, like sx for intel x86?) by Joe Horn, what a wonderfull resource of HP48..HP50g understanding. It seems all the real knowledge understanding needs to be mined from the old ( in computer time angient) HP48 references, most made in time period I took my first 1+1=2 classes at kindergarden.

Next step is to decode the mailing lists, I think it is even older platform than IRC.

Have anyone made a list which of these goodie disk programs are working in later models? I'm just asking, because if not I need to start from disk1. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-01-2016, 07:52 PM
RE: Goodies Disks what a gem of resources..
(09-01-2016 07:31 PM)Vtile Wrote:  Have anyone made a list which of these goodie disk programs are working in later models? I'm just asking, because if not I need to start from disk1. Smile

I agree, an amazing resource, I access one of these about once a month. Endless thanks to Joe (and Educalc) for compiling and distributing these.

I've never run across any detailed notes of which programs will work with which newer machines (and I have looked some), but in general, all UserRPL programs should run on all newer machines, while those that use SysRPL and/or use SYSEVAL commands (to run hidden internal routines) will only run on the machine that program targeted. There are some exceptions, but again the above is true in general.

--Bob Prosperi
09-01-2016, 08:15 PM
Yes. The Goodies Discs are one of the great user projects (mainly due to one user) and contain routines for every discipline. Not only that but; If you can't find the perfect version of Tetris for you in there, it doesn't exist.
So thanks again to Joe for compiling them and Jim for distributing them on an at-cost basis...... even though I don't have anything to read those big old discs any more.
09-02-2016, 04:50 AM
The 48 G series came out between Goodies Disk 8 and 9, so almost all the software on Goodies Disks 9, 10 and 11 are identified as for the 48S/SX only, or G/GX only, or both S and G series.

Therefore everything on the first 8 Goodies Disks runs ok on the S series. I don't remember anybody making a list of which of those programs also run on the G series. However, many of the really nifty old S-series-only programs got rewritten ("ported") for the G series and appeared on GD9, 10, or 11, so be sure to look there first before trying to run an older program on the G series. And there are postings on the later Goodies Disks which describe how to rewrite S-only software to run on the G series, and even how to make software run correctly on both series.

Tangentially related: I still have a dusty old folder on my hard drive called GDNEW (16MB, 1360 files!) which contains goodies from the late 1990's that people either sent to me or which I gathered hither and yon, intending to put them on future Goodies Disks, but then the Goodies Disk Project was abandoned, leaving the GDNEW folder forgotten and forlorn. If you'd like to explore it (you're on your own! I remember nothing about its contents!) you can download it as a 9.5 MB zipfile from HERE. If anything offensive or top-secret is in there, please let me know!

<0|ΙΈ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2016, 11:37 AM
(09-02-2016 04:50 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  The 48 G series came out between Goodies Disk 8 and 9, so almost all the software on Goodies Disks 9, 10 and 11 are identified as for the 48S/SX only, or G/GX only, or both S and G series.

Therefore everything on the first 8 Goodies Disks runs ok on the S series. I don't remember anybody making a list of which of those programs also run on the G series. However, many of the really nifty old S-series-only programs got rewritten ("ported") for the G series and appeared on GD9, 10, or 11, so be sure to look there first before trying to run an older program on the G series. And there are postings on the later Goodies Disks which describe how to rewrite S-only software to run on the G series, and even how to make software run correctly on both series.

Tangentially related: I still have a dusty old folder on my hard drive called GDNEW (16MB, 1360 files!) which contains goodies from the late 1990's that people either sent to me or which I gathered hither and yon, intending to put them on future Goodies Disks, but then the Goodies Disk Project was abandoned, leaving the GDNEW folder forgotten and forlorn. If you'd like to explore it (you're on your own! I remember nothing about its contents!) you can download it as a 9.5 MB zipfile from HERE. If anything offensive or top-secret is in there, please let me know!
Oh, really nice.. I'll need to look at that too, unfortunately in seems that majority is written in SysRPL for understandable reasons, but rendering them questionable to run straight on later firmwares. (If I'm understood correctly the ROM dependancy of sysRPL).

It seems it were you who wrote the article about the crummy feet of HPs, http://holyjoe.net/hp/crummyfeet.htm I have also now experienced this small, but annoying feature of too many products and now in my HP50g with one lost feet. I did solve the issue with "Pattex 100%" glue, which dries kind something similar to hard silicone. First I cleaned the holes a bit with Isopropanol (electric cleaning spray) to get the goo out. Then I took a few tootpicks and with those I tapped the glue/gel to feet dent to form a new "not as clean" feet to the calculator. Next morning it were dry and ready to use. It have now hold couple of weeks so far.

09-02-2016, 01:20 PM
(09-02-2016 04:50 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  I still have a dusty old folder on my hard drive called GDNEW (16MB, 1360 files!) which contains goodies from the late 1990's that people either sent to me or which I gathered hither and yon...

New Gold, awesome news, thanks for sharing these Joseph!

Note: There is a corrupted version of the horn1.zip file available on various download sites, however an intact version was verified and updated (in late 2013) and can be downloaded at hpcalc.org. Multiple files in the zip are damaged but you can easily tell if you have the corrupted version by extracting and examining the file usrlib.txt; you will be able to see the corrupted text in section 1.3.

--Bob Prosperi
09-02-2016, 01:23 PM
(09-02-2016 11:37 AM)Vtile Wrote:  It seems it were you who wrote the article about the crummy feet of HPs, http://holyjoe.net/hp/crummyfeet.htm I have also now experienced this small, but annoying feature of too many products and now in my HP50g with one lost feet. I did solve the issue with "Pattex 100%" glue, which dries kind something similar to hard silicone. First I cleaned the holes a bit with Isopropanol (electric cleaning spray) to get the goo out. Then I took a few tootpicks and with those I tapped the glue/gel to feet dent to form a new "not as clean" feet to the calculator. Next morning it were dry and ready to use. It have now hold couple of weeks so far.

Here is an article on a source for replacement feet for the 50g: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-1091.html

--Bob Prosperi

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)