Copy functions between home and CAS
09-08-2016, 11:56 PM
Copy functions between home and CAS
Is there a way to copy and paste functions between CAS and home or CAS and graph app without having to go back and capitalize or decapitalize the variables..."X" to "x" or the other way around?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2016, 01:19 AM
RE: Copy functions between home and CAS
Has been on the wish list for three years . . .

The "Menu" button would be perfect (Get from Home/Get from CAS).
09-09-2016, 04:33 AM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2016 04:38 AM by Fortin.)
I find that these work pretty well:

x^2+2 [sto] F1(x)

or

F1:=(x)->sin(x)

The x will automatically become capital.

Also doing a substitution such as this can work too: sin(x)(x='X')
09-09-2016, 05:23 AM
Yes of course that works, but the idea is to grab an expression from cas or home and convert it automatically (on the fly, so to speak).
09-09-2016, 08:31 PM
x and capital X are for the prime (and also for the user) two different variables with two different values.
If it would convert it automatically then you would loose the value stored in X (CAS->home) or in x (home->CAS).
So I don't think it is a very good idea. Better doing a substitution, so you can decide which variable to use. You can also pass a function f(a) to F1(X) changing 'a' to 'X', on the fly it would always change x to X, a to A and in the plot app you can not plot a function wit 'A' as argument.

The "on the fly" method would be fast, but not flexible.
09-09-2016, 09:24 PM
Yes, I see what you are saying. However, the on-the-fly method would be there to use if you want to (as a quick fix, kind of like google translate); and nobody will force you to use it.

Depending on the complexity of the expression, and with several variables, applying a bunch of subst() and where() transformations aren't much fun (e.g., remenbering the correct placement of quotes), and are error prone also.

Just my opinion - - I wouldn't mind having this "on-the-fly" capability.
09-09-2016, 10:06 PM
(09-09-2016 09:24 PM)Helge Gabert Wrote:  Yes, I see what you are saying. However, the on-the-fly method would be there to use if you want to (as a quick fix, kind of like google translate); and nobody will force you to use it.

If it is something that you can decide to use or not, then it would for sure be fine, but it should not change directly the variables when you select a function in CAS to have it in the insert line and then change to home.
Should work like "copy", than you paste it where you want. This would be a good solution.
09-09-2016, 11:06 PM
I'll agree to that.

Btw, just as an example, I happen to have x^2-a*x-1 in my CAS history. I don't even want to think of the unsuspecting student, who enters Home and hits "Menu/Get from Cas" . . .

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)