Need two push buttons to be made for...
10-28-2016, 08:43 PM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2016 08:48 PM by Geoff Quickfall.)
Need two push buttons to be made for...
My SEIKO QC-951-II.

How does one go about getting two of something made. I have an original as a source. It is made of aluminum but the repros can be anything as long as they are hard (plastic).

Here is the clock posting I did at the DWF:

Seiko QC-951 II

Shapeways, CNC, mold ... ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-28-2016, 11:36 PM
RE: Need two push buttons to be made for...
Geoff, a house we rented had a music system mounted in the dining area wall. It worked well though its power button was missing. I used a digital calipers (US$10 on sale) to measure the switch shaft and recess, then entered the resulting rectangular block with a rectangular blind hole into Tinkercad(.com). The resulting file dropped into the Makerbot Replicator 2 software we had at work and 10 minutes later I had a custom fit pushbutton that worked fine. A few moments of light sanding on a flat surface eliminated the striations from the printer, giving a smooth look not unlike the missing part must have had.

Give it a try - it's fun. If you don't have a 3D printer, you may find a makerspace nearby that does. Shapeways is always available, too.

Note that there are metal filled filaments available now to make parts that appear to be metal. Maybe not as good as machined aluminum but still handy for getting things working.
10-29-2016, 06:01 AM
Jim,

Thanks! Will measure an see who is nearby with a printer, otherwise Shapeways. Will print two o they match then paint with aluminum spray.

Willl hen one. Clock hasn't lost/gained a second to my HeathKit and therefore WWV. Incredible tech for ca 1965.

Geoff
11-05-2016, 10:40 PM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2016 05:19 AM by Geoff Quickfall.)
YouTube video of clock functioning.

https://youtu.be/Y1bB6Bjuu0g

Buttons being created soon, case restored but more work needed.
11-06-2016, 05:48 PM
Love that smooth sweep!
12-10-2016, 06:55 AM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2016 07:02 AM by Geoff Quickfall.)
Jim!

Thanks for the heads up to tinkercad!!! Just finished creating the buttons in metalized aluminum plastic at Shapeways after creating the cad at tinkercad. It may need some refining and I must drill the correct hole in the centre spindle by hand, but they should look identical when done!

[Image: IMG_4012_zpsuxfqxey1.png]

Some sanding and shaping required to look like the original:

[Image: IMG_2028_zpsqws8f9am.jpg]

[Image: IMG_2032_zpsdsjqg87q.jpg]

The clock awaits:

[Image: IMG_2016_zps15c0cnmd.jpg]

Youtube video: https://youtu.be/Y1bB6Bjuu0g
01-08-2017, 11:51 PM (This post was last modified: 01-08-2017 11:54 PM by Geoff Quickfall.)
The clock is completed!

Thanks to Jim Horn, Tinkercad and Shapeways. After measuring the original (upper left in first photo) Creating a cad file at tinkercad then exporting it to Shapeways, six new buttons were made by Shapeways in metalized plastic. They can print in aluminum but I am happy with the hard metalized plastic.

These are screw attached to adjuster cables under the case top. The only additional thing I had to do was drill the small hole in the inside cylinder for the threaded adjusted cables.

The buttons:

[Image: IMG_2248_zpsyb98reyq.jpg]

And the clock now half second out after 1 month (this error to be adjusted for):

[Image: IMG_2256_zpsu4fvcd8n.jpg]
01-09-2017, 01:32 AM (This post was last modified: 01-09-2017 01:50 AM by Jim Horn.)
Way to go, Geoff!

My copy of the GE (not RCA) Transistor Manual, circa 1960s, included the plans for a D cell powered quartz clock. It used a series of tuned tunnel diode oscillators to divide the 100kHz crystal frequency down to 50 Hz then drove the normal clock with that. I was astonished with the idea at the time but as a kid I didn't have the resources to duplicate it. And today it would be hopelessly over complex compared to a $10 Casio.

None the less, seeing a true sweep second hand does my heart good! The jerky 1 second update of today's quartz movements can't begin to compare.

Again, my gratitude for preserving "an elegant (clock) from a more civilized age"!
01-09-2017, 01:56 AM
Aha - found it! 'Tis the GE Transistor Manual which can be found at:

http://www.introni.it/pdf/GE%20-%20Trans...201964.pdf

at its page 354. Would be interesting to compare GE's clock with yours, Geoff!
01-09-2017, 02:45 AM
The closest thing I can get tot amanual is the following link.

QC manual

Nice having a silent 19 jewel mechanical movement run by an analog electronic system (no ICs). Thanks for the kudos Jim.

I will take a look at your manual on the GE clock. Looks interesting. By the way,, just picked up a new HeathKit clock kit known as the 'most reliable clock'.

Most reliable clock

And this is on the way, needs repair:

HeathKit led aircraft timer/clock.

Cheers
01-09-2017, 02:53 AM
(01-09-2017 02:45 AM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  The closest thing I can get tot amanual is the following link.

QC manual

Nice having a silent 19 jewel mechanical movement run by an analog electronic system (no ICs). Thanks for the kudos Jim.

I will take a look at your manual on the GE clock. Looks interesting. By the way,, just picked up a new HeathKit clock kit known as the 'most reliable clock'.

Most reliable clock

And this is on the way, needs repair:

Cheers
Geoff.....Very cool! Did you purchase the Heathkit led aircraft timer/clock? Or are you repairing it for someone??
01-09-2017, 03:15 AM
Yes, the HeathKit clock looks great. It is mine, purchased from a surplus house here in Vancouver, not working. The manual is on its way also.

Dual time display, count up and down timers and day month year. Hope I can get it functional as it will look good stacked in the HP/digital clock room with the:

1. HP 59309a
  2. HeathKit GC 1005
  3. HeathKit GC-1000
  4. HeathKit O1-1154
  5. Nixie clock

:-)
01-09-2017, 07:49 PM
(01-09-2017 02:45 AM)Geoff Quickfall Wrote:  And this is on the way, needs repair:

Cheers

Cool! That was an interesting kit - apparently you had to return it to Heath for inspection after building it to get the FAA/PMA approval. I'll bet that generated a lot of good soldering habits!

Bob
01-09-2017, 10:58 PM
Happy new year Bob

Think the HeathKit navigation computer should sit beside the clock. Thanks for the update on the soldering and FAA approval. Should bode well for an eventual repair if needed.

Not tested was the discriptive, hopefully after a good cleaning, inspection and correct power supply it should run.

Cheers, Geoff

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)