Poll: Which is your workflow when programming the Prime?
I program directly on the physical calculator
I use the virtual calculator to program
I use the Connectivity kit editor
I use notepad, and copy/paste constantly to the virtual calc/conn kit
I use Notepad++, and copy/paste constantly to the virtual calc/conn kit
I do something else
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Programming workflow?
11-01-2016, 01:50 AM (This post was last modified: 11-01-2016 01:57 AM by eried.)
Programming workflow?
Hi,

I want to know how do you program in the Prime.

With my 50g, I remember staying hours in the breeze with only the quick reference manual tinkering with it. This seems impossible with the Prime, as much as I wanted, mainly because two reasons:
  • Crashes
  • Crippled editor

The crashes are fading away luckily with each new firmware, however you still can't really trust the device, I was just yesterday checking the "scrollbars" in the Geometry app and it crashed -BTW the menus in that app look awful with small font in this app-

About the editor, well... we still do not have UNDO!, no search/replace, the magic of parenthesis and quotes in some places (when you want to test some piece of code in the CAS, etc) and some stupid way of handling the focus in the UI (I am talking about that yellow exclamation that pops, for example press VARS and then the CATALOG, why it needs me to dismiss that menu instead of just switching?)

Not everything is negative of course. The text selection is greatly improved, the debugger is outstanding (but the "watches" seem to not evaluate everything properly...), the backup/restore functionality is now amazing, the speed of the device is also a plus.

So, I wish to know what do you do?

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-01-2016, 01:14 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2016 04:11 PM by compsystems.)
RE: Programming workflow?
I combine, primePAD (http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-36.html) to format, notepad++ to copy and replace more easily, the program editor of PC to store it and to send it to the simulator.

God needed an IDE, like the famous HPuserEdit

[Image: TerminalWindow_RPL_HP50_image00.png]

Algo curioso es como se explica en el siguiente vídeo para extraer el código fuente de un archivo (minuto 1:30)

Find all posts by this user
11-01-2016, 02:06 PM
I use Notepad++ to edit with a custom definition file I found on hpcalc.org. It allows syntax highlighting and parameter descriptions as the code is typed. I modified the theme to look more like the dark Visual Studio theme I have installed in Notepad++. I use the Connectivity kit to transfer the file to the virtual Prime or my actual calculator for testing. I only wish we had a better debugger for the code, as the debug function on the Prime does not seem to have step over functionality, and also is kind of erratic when you are debugging applications that draw and request touch input from the screen.

[Image: Notepad_Prime.png]
11-02-2016, 02:15 PM (This post was last modified: 11-02-2016 02:16 PM by eried.)
(11-01-2016 02:06 PM)falcon56215 Wrote:  I use Notepad++ to edit with a custom definition file I found on hpcalc.org.

Yes, I do the same with that definition file. Pretty handy!

So, a lot of cases code on the calculator, any opinion of this? Did you enjoy it? (did you used to do the same with older calcs?)

I wonder what jte do... haha Tongue

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-02-2016, 04:07 PM
No se si entendí bien, pero por ejemplo yo usaba contextEditor para editar programas para la hp48

http://www.contexteditor.org/highlighters/Hp48.chl

claro esta que, esos editores solo eran resaltadores de código, no tenían las funciones que ayudaban el proceso de codificación como lo hace hpuseredit como pegar plantillas de tipos de datos como bibliotecas, editor de cajas de dialogo, catalogo de funciones y mas

Plantilla para crear una biblioteca (library) usando hpuserEdit
PHP Code:
DIR
  identifier1
    obj1

identifier2
    obj2

identifierN
    objN

$CONFIG
    « ATTACH »               
« #integer ATTACH »         @

$HIDDEN

{ }                      @ { hidden identifiers ...  } @

$VISIBLE

{ }                      @ { visible identifiers ... } @

$ROMID
#integer

$TITLE

"
     Author:
     Calc:
     Version:"               
"Library Title"             @
END

HOME 
'dirTemp' PGDIR
'dirTemp' STO
dirTemp CRLIB 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)