What gets stored where?
03-03-2017, 05:49 PM
What gets stored where?
Hi all,

Maybe a n00b question here but, hey, I am a n00b when it comes to the HP-Prime...

Looking at this screenshot:

So, there's 16.45 MB of memory remaining and just shy of 200 MB of storage.

What gets stored where? Assuming my apps, programs and variables get stored in "memory" (is that an incorrect assumption?), how do I access the "storage" space and use that?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2017, 05:57 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2017 05:58 PM by Han.)
RE: What gets stored where?
There is RAM (32MB), and there is FLASH (256MB). RAM is used by the calculator and temporarily stores your data. When you turn the calculator off, certain parts (the important data that are absolutely important to the user) are written into flash (e.g. programs, user variables, etc.).

You access the storage space by simply creating objects (e.g. programs and variables). Unlike other handheld devices, however, there is no storage like a USB drive. All file / data transfers are done through the connectivity kit, and the only things that you can transfer are valid objects (such as apps and programs).

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
03-03-2017, 05:59 PM
Thanks Han.

So what you're saying is programs, variables etc. are actually stored in flash? If so, that means plenty of space.
03-03-2017, 06:12 PM
(03-03-2017 05:59 PM)grsbanks Wrote:  Thanks Han.

So what you're saying is programs, variables etc. are actually stored in flash? If so, that means plenty of space.

"640K ought to be enough for anybody"

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
03-03-2017, 06:13 PM
(03-03-2017 06:12 PM)Han Wrote:  "640K ought to be enough for anybody"

Famous last words Smile
03-03-2017, 09:22 PM
Oh yes, I remember pressing every single byte out using memory devices to organize even the loading sequence of needed drivers. That was fun.
Arno
03-03-2017, 10:11 PM
The only place you'll ever normally run out of memory is if you load large mult-MB files into the calc. That can use up memory as it can have several loaded at once.

Should that happen, restart the calculator (ON-SYMB) and it will have unloaded those objects holding space in RAM.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
03-03-2017, 10:23 PM
(03-03-2017 05:57 PM)Han Wrote:  There is RAM (32MB), and there is FLASH (256MB). RAM is used by the calculator and temporarily stores your data. When you turn the calculator off, certain parts (the important data that are absolutely important to the user) are written into flash (e.g. programs, user variables, etc.).

You access the storage space by simply creating objects (e.g. programs and variables). Unlike other handheld devices, however, there is no storage like a USB drive. All file / data transfers are done through the connectivity kit, and the only things that you can transfer are valid objects (such as apps and programs).

Just to ask for a clarification...
When you say only valid objects and programs can be transferred...
Does that mean a program which didn't compile wouldn't transfer...or would it?

As for 256 MB being plenty, I used to find 20MB OK for a PC. Now, both of my phones have 4GB plus 32GB SD card, yet still complain that I cannot download any more apps - Luckily, one already has the latest HP Prime App.

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2017, 10:39 PM
A program will transfer, attempt to compile, not compile, and remain in memory as source.

What was meant is just "anything that is not an object recognized and known by the connkit and calculator will not be sent along". In other words, it isn't a general storage device like a USB drive or similar.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)