HP-01 Stylus available
04-24-2017, 11:50 AM (This post was last modified: 04-25-2017 12:12 AM by PANAMATIK.)
HP-01 Stylus available
I like to introduce a new spare part for a famous HP calculator, which I think is made available for the first time in history.

The new HP-01 Stylus

With help of modern 3D printing I designed a remake of the "Wristband Stylus" for the HP-01 calculator watch. If you ever lost this part or accidentally broke the tip you now can order a new one. I was so unlucky some month ago losing my own HP-01 Gold stylus, which made me very sad. Also my original Stainless Steel Stylus never had a tip, because it was broken at purchase and I saw no method to fix a new tip, which would be stable enough, so I decided to think about a replacement.

[Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_ReVIxZjN3VlBoeEk]

The new HP-01 Stylus has the same curvature and size as the original as far as possible.

[Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_RUWlNOU0zdHlPSjQ] [Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_RR0RDUVBRV296dVE]

With white tip shows the original HP-01 Gold Stylus, with orange tip the new Stylus. The tip color can be also white, black or blue and depends on your preference or taste.

The new stylus is made of solid stainless steel, the surface was brushed after 3D printing with a brass dremel tool, which gave it the light yellow golden color. This is the only existing prototype yet. I'm rather sure there can be an improvement in appearance with a more professional surface brush technique. The tip is placed on a steel needle anchored deep inside the stylus front. The steel needle, which makes the plastic tip nearly unbreakable, cannot be manufactured by the metal 3D printing, it is inserted after the process manually.

[Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_RUlYxcFFfeC1UN0E] [Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_RVHlCQjB4QkJtWDg]

The new HP-01 Stylus fits perfectly into the original wristband clasp. I also made two hard plastic versions with integrated plastic tip. These are more easy to produce and don't need a surface handling after 3D printing. If you want to be sure, that you never will lose your original stylus when wearing your watch in the public, then you can replace it by the plastic stylus, which is not too hard to buy again if lost. The yellow plastic part is meant to be used with a HP-01 Gold, the grey with the HP-01 Stainless Steel model.

[Image: uc?export=view&id=0Bwx8KUfOUL_RZjhtQ05Pa3FFX1U]

All my original and reproduced stylus versions, scattered around like scrap metal. You can see the new plastic and metal stylus' between, which are no longer difficult to obtain.

Now I need to order some more 3D prints, before you can buy a new HP-01 Stainless Steel Stylus if you need one. Many Thanks to Mark Henderson, who sent me an original Stainless Steel and made a first 3D model, which gave me the impuls learning some CAD and working on my own version, and many many thanks to Geoff Quickfall, who was so generous to send me an original HP-01 Gold Stylus after I told him about my loss.

You can order the plastic versions directly from shapeways

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-24-2017, 03:21 PM
RE: HP-01 Stylus available
(04-24-2017 11:50 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  I like to introduce a new spare part for a famous HP calculator, which I think is made available for the first time in history.

Cool Bernhard. Sometimes it's the very small things that make us happy.

--Bob Prosperi
04-24-2017, 03:27 PM
(04-24-2017 03:14 PM)Geir Isene Wrote:  Wow.

You are indeed industrious :-)

Thanks! Indeed, this time I didn't need a compiler and no debugging for getting a result. :-) But now I need to buy some metal surface wire brushing and polishing machines. :-(

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
05-28-2017, 04:36 AM
I missed this post, but I knew about the product. I am a proud owner of a brass reproduction and to plastics.

These are perfect reproductions and I am no longer afraid of losing the originals which remain at home.

Thanks Bernhard

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)