HP-71B: trying to get pyILPER fully working on my Mac
05-27-2017, 06:21 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2017 06:23 PM by smp.)
HP-71B: trying to get pyILPER fully working on my Mac
Hello again,

As I've been indicating recently, I have my HP-71B running with my PIL-Box and I have been using pyILPER on my MacBook Pro.

I found today that I do not have the LIFUTILS installed properly. I have downloaded the folder of files called: lifutils-1.7.6-macosx, and I've tried putting it in /usr/local. I've left the name of the folder as is, and I've also tried changing the name to lifutils-1.7.6 and also lifutils. None of these are detected by pyILPER as a proper installation. Currently, I have the lifutils-1.7.6-macosx folder in my home directory along with miniconda3. That is also not detected as a proper installation.

Separate from that situation, I have been trying to follow the directions to use the PILTERM window as both the keyboard and display for the HP-71B. I copied the DAT file to my working directory, and I mounted the file on Drive1. I copied PILTERM and KEYBOARD from the Drive1 into my HP-71B. I ran PILTERM on the HP-71B. I displays that it is assigning the Printer, Display, and Keyboard. After all this, I believe that I am supposed to be able to type on my Mac and see what I type echoed from the HP-71B back onto the terminal display.

That is not what happens. All the display activities happen fine. When I type on my Mac, nothing happens - then if I type ENDLINE on my HP-71B, then all that I typed on my Mac finally come streaming out onto the terminal display.

Can anyone assist me with this? I believe that I've followed the instructions properly. Is this possibly connected with my issue of not yet having the LIFUTILS properly installed?

Thanks very much, in advance...

smp
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-27-2017, 07:49 PM
RE: HP-71B: trying to get pyILPER fully working on my Mac
(05-27-2017 06:21 PM)smp Wrote:  I found today that I do not have the LIFUTILS installed properly. I have downloaded the folder of files called: lifutils-1.7.6-macosx, and I've tried putting it in /usr/local. I've left the name of the folder as is, and I've also tried changing the name to lifutils-1.7.6 and also lifutils. None of these are detected by pyILPER as a proper installation. Currently, I have the lifutils-1.7.6-macosx folder in my home directory along with miniconda3. That is also not detected as a proper installation.

OK! It was another instance of RTFM for me. I went back to the LIFUTILS installation instructions and found the two commands they say to use, I used them and managed to get a good installation (once I remembered to use SUDO).

Now, pyILPER indicates that it has found LIFUTILS version 1.7.6, and it will now allow me to use the first two utility commands.

Now to go on and see if I can get the terminal fully working...

smp
05-27-2017, 09:32 PM
(05-27-2017 07:49 PM)smp Wrote:  Now, pyILPER indicates that it has found LIFUTILS version 1.7.6, and it will now allow me to use the first two utility commands.

When Device enabled is unchecked, pyILPER becomes a front-end for LIFUTILS. Under the Tools dropdown disc utilities can be invoked and by right-clicking a file, file utilities can be invoked. Try Viewing a LEX file or Exporting a BASIC file.

Dave
05-27-2017, 09:32 PM (This post was last modified: 05-27-2017 09:34 PM by smp.)
(05-27-2017 06:21 PM)smp Wrote:  When I type on my Mac, nothing happens - then if I type ENDLINE on my HP-71B, then all that I typed on my Mac finally come streaming out onto the terminal display.

Can anyone assist me with this?

Now I am really frustrated!

I decided to go back to Windows 7 under Parallels on my Mac and give it a try there. I did a clean installation from scratch for LIFUTILS, Miniconda, and pyILPER. I followed all of the instructions, step by step. I now have pyILPER up and running under Windows 7, under Parallels, on my MacBook Pro.

I followed the instructions for getting the interactive terminal to work. I copied PILIMAGE.DAT to my working directory, and then mounted it. I copied KEYBOARD and then PILTERM onto my HP-71B. I ran PILTERM, and I saw the assignment of printer, display, and keyboard.

And, it works exactly the same as on my Mac! When I type on my Mac in the terminal window, nothing shows up, then when I hit ENDLINE on my HP-71B, all the characters I typed on my Mac show up on the screen and the HP-71B executes whatever I typed.

So, now both my Mac installation and also my Windows installation are working the same - both provide a good terminal display, but neither of them provide proper input by the terminal keyboard.

BAH!

Any ideas or assistance will be greatly appreciated!

smp
05-27-2017, 09:41 PM
Not knowing how long your 71's been in storage, does your PIL-Box have firmware version 1.6 or later?
05-27-2017, 09:50 PM
(05-27-2017 09:41 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Not knowing how long your 71's been in storage, does your PIL-Box have firmware version 1.6 or later?

Hi Dave, and thanks again for your latest idea. I unscrewed my PIL-Box cover (marked P129-2013) and I see the chip is labeled: PILBOX 1.4. I purchased this all assembled and tested from J-F. How much trouble am I in?

smp
05-27-2017, 10:33 PM
(05-27-2017 09:50 PM)smp Wrote:  
(05-27-2017 09:41 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Not knowing how long your 71's been in storage, does your PIL-Box have firmware version 1.6 or later?
Hi Dave, and thanks again for your latest idea. I unscrewed my PIL-Box cover (marked P129-2013) and I see the chip is labeled: PILBOX 1.4. I purchased this all assembled and tested from J-F. How much trouble am I in?

Not much at all. Contact J-F about a PIC upgrade. From his website:

November 2015: Firmware update 1.6
This firmware update provides a better support for managing HP-IL Service Request. This will be needed for future virtual HP-IL devices such as a remote HP-IL keyboard or a close emulation of the HP82162 HP-IL printer. Contact me if you need this update.

February 2016: PIL-Box and PIL-IO firmware versions 2.0
The PIL-Box and PIL-IO are now using a new microcontroller and the firmware has been updated accordingly. There is no functional change, the PIL-Box and PIL-IO firmware versions 2.0 have the same functionalities than the PIL-Box firmware 1.6 and PIL-IO firmware 1.2 respectively.

April 2016: PIL-Box firmware update 2.1
This firmware update for the PIL-Box provides a support for a faster communication speed at 230 kbps, for use with ILPer 2.2 or higher. The 9600 baud speed is no more supported by the PIL-Box.
Users of PIL-Box with firmware 1.x can upgrade to 2.1 by changing the microcontroller, no modification of the board is needed.
The performance gain at 230 kbps vs firmware 1.5 is about 40% using the HP-71B. There is no gain with the HP-41C since this machine is really very slow. Contact me if you are interested by an upgrade.

Dave
05-28-2017, 12:53 PM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2017 05:14 PM by smp.)
(05-27-2017 10:33 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Contact J-F about a PIC upgrade.

Thanks for all your attention and assistance, Dave.

I have been in touch with J-F, and I will be ordering the PIC upgrade today.

smp

UPDATE: My order has been placed and paid for.
06-04-2017, 12:54 PM (This post was last modified: 06-04-2017 12:55 PM by smp.)
As a final update here, I am very happy to report that I've received my MCU update from J-F, it's installed and working properly. I can now use the pyILPER Terminal window for keyboard input from my computer as well as the display. And it's all communicating at 230400 bps!

Thanks again to Dave for all his attention and assistance, and to J-F for his excellent product and support.

smp

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)