Using HP's 12C and 15C emulators
05-31-2017, 08:06 AM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2017 09:55 AM by Dieter.)
Using HP's 12C and 15C emulators
Here and there I use HP's emulators of the 12C and 15C. Unlike other emulators (e.g. the 35s version) there seems to be no consistent keyboard mapping. For instance the Ctrl key maps to the [g] prefix but there is nothing that would map to [f] or [R/S]. The function keys F1..F11 access the calculator keys in the first two rows, some letters are assigned to different functions on the 15C and 12C. I think using these emulators with a common PC keyboard is quite cumbersome, so my question is: can this be changed in any way, e.g. by something like a mapfile that defines the keyboard assignments?

Finally, how do you change the decimal marker? On the "real thing" you simply hold down the decimal point while the device is turned on. But how can I switch the 12C and 15C emulators from 1,234,567.00 to 1.234.567,00 ?

Edit: Looks like the key assignments are defined in the .skin files. I can see the keys and their position within the emulator window, but I'm still not perfectly sure about the syntax and the use of the {} brackets.

Dieter
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-2017, 02:00 PM (This post was last modified: 05-31-2017 02:00 PM by fhub.)
RE: Using HP's 12C and 15C emulators
(05-31-2017 08:06 AM)Dieter Wrote:  Edit: Looks like the key assignments are defined in the .skin files. I can see the keys and their position within the emulator window, but I'm still not perfectly sure about the syntax and the use of the {} brackets.

Here's a textfile that describes the format of these *.skin files - it has been posted long time ago here in the forum.

Franz

Attached File(s)
.txt  HP-Skins.txt (Size: 3.37 KB / Downloads: 22)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-31-2017, 05:09 PM
(05-31-2017 02:00 PM)fhub Wrote:  Here's a textfile that describes the format of these *.skin files - it has been posted long time ago here in the forum.

Ah, thank you very much, this looks very promising. The keycodes seem to be the ones described here on the MS website.

However some codes still do not work. Assigning the [g] prefix to the Ctrl key (code 17 resp. 0x11) works fine while assigning [f] to Shift (code 16 resp. 0x10) or Alt (code 18 resp. 0x12) does not show any effect. What may be the problem here?

Anyway, I was able to add some useful key assignments and correct some errors in the default skin file where the same keycode was assigned to multiple keys.

There still is the question regarding changing the decimal marker. I can't say how I did it, but my 15C emulator is set to 1.234,56 format while the 12C displays 1,234.56. #-) So there must be a way to change this setting.

Dieter
05-31-2017, 07:54 PM
(05-31-2017 05:09 PM)Dieter Wrote:  There still is the question regarding changing the decimal marker. I can't say how I did it, but my 15C emulator is set to 1.234,56 format while the 12C displays 1,234.56. #-) So there must be a way to change this setting.

On Android, the 12C emulator has a settings menu which includes "Swap Decimal Separator" which does what you want. This menu is accessed by touching the HP Logo when in Portrait mode (which is a simplified calculator with larger buttons). In Landscape mode, the Menu button (where the 12C ON button is) has a Settings choice, which brings up the same menu.

Not sure which emulator you're using (I assume Windows), but hope this helps.

--Bob Prosperi
05-31-2017, 08:45 PM
(05-31-2017 07:54 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  On Android, the 12C emulator has a settings menu which includes "Swap Decimal Separator" which does what you want. This menu is accessed by touching the HP Logo when in Portrait mode (which is a simplified calculator with larger buttons). In Landscape mode, the Menu button (where the 12C ON button is) has a Settings choice, which brings up the same menu.

Yes, I am using the 12C/15C emulators for Windows. Here you can right-click the HP logo but this only brings up the content of the regular "calculator" menu (so that you can reactivate the title bar if you chose to hide it before). Sorry, no "swap decimal separator" option here.

Dieter
06-01-2017, 12:56 PM
(05-31-2017 09:45 PM)Mike (Stgt) Wrote:  If you realy do need to change the decimal piont and thosands separator

I do not even really need any kind of 12C emulator at all ;-) But I wonder why the 15C emulator is set to one format and the 12C to the other. Either this is hardcoded or there must be a way to change this setting.

(05-31-2017 09:45 PM)Mike (Stgt) Wrote:  I suggest to use Nonpareil release 0.77. It has several advantages, first of all, you may use the ROM image of your choice. Next, you may add (undocumented feature)

Yes, Nonpareil is a nice set of emulators. But dealing with different ROM images (or even get hold of the official HP ROMs) and this compile-your-own thing is out of my world. I'm just a user, all I want is a working emulator that exactly matches the hardware to see how the 12C or 15C will behave with this calculation or that program.

Dieter

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)