Behold the WP-30S
03-09-2014, 02:00 AM
RE: Behold the WP-30S
(03-09-2014 01:00 AM)Sanjeev Visvanatha Wrote:  
(03-08-2014 09:27 PM)Mark Hardman Wrote:  Might I suggest a small stylized "alpha keyboard" sticker that could be applied to the back of the calculator (à la HP-41)?

Mark Hardman
Hmmm..... This would also work.

Gene: I like the idea of a sticker on the back. Would hate to lose the distributions.

It's pretty easy in use to get STO A through D associated with the top left 4 keys. No real need for letters for that.

The STO X Z T don't seem to work as I expect. STO Y (STO PART) works, but what are X Z and T ? if they map to numbers the letters won't work.

What I think the 30S should be is a *simple* non-programmable. The 31S will end up being much more capable, but more complicated to use.

There is room for both I think.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-09-2014, 04:28 AM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2014 04:29 AM by RMollov.)
(03-08-2014 08:48 PM)walter b Wrote:  How about making strips with the letters (and ON) printed on them? Would be easier to apply than tiny individual letter labels IMHO.
That is the best idea IMO.
Such strips should be made only slightly narrower then the width of the isle between the key holes and with background colour matching original HP30B faceplate.
03-09-2014, 05:12 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2014 05:18 PM by d b.)
(03-09-2014 04:28 AM)RMollov Wrote:  Such strips should be made ........ with background colour matching original HP30B faceplate.

R; I'm not sure; but Eric may not be able to get sheets colour matched to the silver faceplate of the 30b. The black background of the 20b is no problem though because for some reason ; we don't see much difference in shades of black. For colour mixing there is blueish, greenish, reddish, etc. black- but not to our eyes. We do discriminate darkness and colour in greys and silvers though.

To me; the WP30s looks like a great use for all those 20Bs out there.
03-09-2014, 11:10 PM
It would be impossible to match the 30b faceplate. I think strips for the alpha characters would look funny, too. IMHO, the stickers should either just be the keys or it should be a full overlay like the 34S.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-10-2014, 01:26 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2014 01:58 AM by Sanjeev Visvanatha.)
Based upon valued feedback here, a revisit of WP 30S is in order. It makes sense to share codebase with 31S. I will create a new thread to Reboot the 30S with an eye on tuning the keyboard, and simplification of the interface.

Some dilemnas arise:
1. Users do not want to clutter either the keys or faceplate with alpha labels. Fine, i understand.

2. Appears that Distributions are desired, but these require a few lettered registers.

Some possible solutions to cater to these:

1. alpha key map placed on calculator backside with entire alpha map. This becomes cumbersome.

2. Limited alpha registers ABCD XYZT JK available via STO/RCL. Register L not need direct access due to Last x. ABCD are easy enough to place and remember in top row. What about the rest?

3. Accept only traditional stack, move CONV, and place JK XYZT as the only lettered registers in the top row. Single strip label below top row to indicate lettered registers. Clever choice of strip label to also obscure 'Black S'.

4. Do not allow access to stack registers with STO/RCL, and make [1] and [2] be the distribution registers J and K. Access method would be like STO ENTER [1]. This is somewhat HP 21S-like. Shifted key positions would be labeled as:

FIX (j) and ENG (k)

Seeing how little these shifted keys get used, this may be the best compromise at simplification of interface and overlay requirements.

As I said, I will start a new thread for keyboard and interface discussions for 30S Reboot once 31S gets out of the nursery.

Thank you for all your feedback suggestions.

Edit: added shifted key labels for clarification.

-- Sanjeev Visvanatha

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)