Just now I noticed a fun TI curiosity
06-23-2017, 07:02 PM
Just now I noticed a fun TI curiosity
Hello.

At the time, the main programmables were TI's SR-56 and SR-52 and HP-25 and HP-65.

Some inquiries arise.

Usually, modelnumbers are higher as the functionality is more advanced. An obvious example of this is in the Spike/Spice series. There was the basic sientific 31E up to the fully propgrammable 34C. Although, for this illustration, TI had the fully programmable SR-52. But, the SR-56 was the basic model of the two. I wonder why that was.

Another awkward observation: notice the four model numbers SR-52, HP-25; SR-56, HP-65. Do you see what I see (no, I'm not going to segue into Christmas music)? I wonder why TI chose a higher model number for the SR-56. And that digit reversal is amusing too.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-23-2017, 09:22 PM
RE: Just now I noticed a fun TI curiosity
TI had done this with model numbers before.

SR-10, SR-11, SR-16 were in advancing capability but also introduced LATER as you move along.

SR-50, SR-51, SR-52, SR-56 were in order of introduction. Just happened than the 56 was not as advanced as the 52, I think.
06-23-2017, 10:12 PM (This post was last modified: 06-23-2017 10:12 PM by Matt Agajanian.)
Ah! Order of release. See, that's the idea I hadn't considered. Besides, at that age, around 11, I just noticed both were available at the same time and in the same brochure. Thanks for the history lesson.
06-24-2017, 01:52 AM
No worries. All questions are good questions, because with an answer, there is greater order in the universe!
06-24-2017, 05:38 AM
Try as you might, every letter you type increases disorder.

Taxophiles, keep your postings short!
06-24-2017, 10:31 AM
(06-23-2017 07:02 PM)Matt Agajanian Wrote:  Usually, modelnumbers are higher as the functionality is more advanced. An obvious example of this is in the Spike/Spice series. There was the basic sientific 31E up to the fully propgrammable 34C.

And then there were the midrange 37E and 38E. ;-)
Or consider the 19C vs. the 29C. Or the 75C vs. the 71B.
Or is a 41C resp. 42s a stripped-down HP45 ?-)

Model numbers are just that: numbers. Every manufacturer has his own system, if there is one at all. For instance, take a look at Canon cameras (except in the US and Japan): the less digits the higher the model is ranked, and so the "1" is at the top and the "1300" is the entry model. The newer the camera, the higher the number (300 – 350 – 400 – ... 800).

So I think one should not look for a logical explanation where there simply may be none. ;-)

Dieter
07-02-2017, 12:12 AM
In your defense, Dieter, I see your
point. And it makes much sense.

The year is 1974 (or 75).
TI had already introduced the redesigned 50s, the 50A and 51A.
On introducing a robust competitor to the HP-65, the next model number for TI (and to illustrate it was a top of the line model, after 51 comes 52.

So yes, I see why the SR-52 was numbered that way.

Thanks Dieter.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)