Multi Calculator Kit
10-28-2017, 01:35 PM (This post was last modified: 10-28-2017 01:35 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
RE: Multi Calculator Kit
Hello!

(10-28-2017 08:24 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  The year 2017 is the year of the multi calculator kits.

Wonderful and somewhat incredible! I admire the effort behind all these projects - and the LED displays all of you are using.

Now all that we really need is HP digging out the moulds for the housings of the HP67 and the HP25 and make a few hundred of them for us, and ideally some keyboards as well. In the meantime I have to look for "dead" units in my calculation to determine how many kits of which type I may want to purchase.

Thanks to all of you for your work!
Max
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-28-2017, 10:39 PM
I am hoping that a nice plastic case emerges to support this multi calculator, and that someone jumps in with some nice die-cut plastic overlays with the key legends for
the various supported multi-calculator models. It would be really cool to switch overlays and internal calculator model modes to suit a specific calculating / programming task. Maybe it is just a dream, but it does seem possible at this point to have such dreams.
11-02-2017, 01:58 PM
Hi all,

Some software progress.

The HP19c is proving to be a real beastie to get going.

Here is a picture of its first print output direct from the PIC chip just after power on.

Most of the parts have arrived, so I can do a final check on the PCB design and get them made when all is confirmed.

cheers

Tony

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

11-02-2017, 10:16 PM
(11-02-2017 01:58 PM)teenix Wrote:  Most of the parts have arrived, so I can do a final check on the PCB design and get them made when all is confirmed.

cheers

Tony

Hi Tony,

which USB chip are you using? Might be worth me switching to the same you are using to avoid any incompatibilities.

Cheers,
Harald

PS: I can see my parcel has arrived in Australia, but after that they don't provide tracking information anymore.
11-02-2017, 10:25 PM
(10-28-2017 10:39 PM)BarryMead Wrote:  I am hoping that a nice plastic case emerges to support this multi calculator, and that someone jumps in with some nice die-cut plastic overlays with the key legends for
the various supported multi-calculator models. It would be really cool to switch overlays and internal calculator model modes to suit a specific calculating / programming task. Maybe it is just a dream, but it does seem possible at this point to have such dreams.

Yes, overlays would be great, I would like those for my classic series replacement PCB version of the emulator as well. I am unsure how it could be done though. The early versions of the HP35 with the blank function keys would probably be the best starting point. All the functions could be printed on the overlay with no disturbing wrongly labled key caps (OK, apart from pi). But I am not sure how the overlays could be fixed to the HP35. A material like the HP41 overlays were made from seems good, but what equipment is needed to cut lables like those? Who has the skills to produce quality images to print those overlays?

Cheers,
Harald
11-02-2017, 10:29 PM
(10-28-2017 10:39 PM)BarryMead Wrote:  I am hoping that a nice plastic case emerges to support this multi calculator, and that someone jumps in with some nice die-cut plastic overlays with the key legends for

1+

Maybe someone do that for profit, I will support.

Let's hope it's gonna happen!

Best Regards

JL
11-03-2017, 12:59 AM
(11-02-2017 10:16 PM)Harald Wrote:  Hi Tony,

which USB chip are you using? Might be worth me switching to the same you are using to avoid any incompatibilities.

Cheers,
Harald

PS: I can see my parcel has arrived in Australia, but after that they don't provide tracking information anymore.

Hi Harald,

The same as yours, FTD232R.

There is one difference, the USB chip can be in an OFF state on my board. I had to use inverted TX and DTR on this chip and the PIC as there is a possibility that these pins could be driven via the MCLR pullup resistor and the PIC TX pin. MCLR is isolated from the 232 chip via a NPN trans.

This won't affect your board as the TX is not inverted for your version.

No knocks on the door yet.

cheers

Tony
11-06-2017, 02:49 AM
Hi all,

Just an update on the multi kit progress.

95% of parts have arrived and the PCB design is now at the fabricators being manufactured.

I managed to squeeze in another calculator, which makes 21 models in all now.

The latest model is the HP10 KISS calculator.

For the purists, the original microcode for this model is not available and most likely never will because all internals are on the one chip and would be very difficult to get at without dissolving the plastic casing to get access to the die(s).

I sat down awhile back and wrote my own HP microcode for this model. It won't be exactly what the HP engineers came up with but it works as detailed in the owners manual. The code can be examined in operation on the simulator from http://www.teenix.org

cheers

Tony

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

11-06-2017, 04:59 AM
Please put me on your list for a kit ready to assemble!

The HP-10 is the only LED calculator, which I don't have in my collection.

Bernhard

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
11-06-2017, 08:15 PM
One assembled for me too.

Cheers
11-07-2017, 04:42 AM (This post was last modified: 11-07-2017 04:50 AM by scrubbed.)
I also would like one built and tested. I'm thinking I may want the USB to be installed, fully built, and tested.

What are the physical dimensions of this unit, with and without the USB? Does presence of the USB greatly change the unit's physicality?

Thank you so much!
11-07-2017, 06:01 AM
(11-06-2017 04:59 AM)PANAMATIK Wrote:  Please put me on your list for a kit ready to assemble!

The HP-10 is the only LED calculator, which I don't have in my collection.

Bernhard

Hi Bernhard

I have been playing around with the HP10 and I have found a few bugs in the microcode that I missed previously. I will try to fix them, but I'll have to put it on the back burner for a bit until I get the rest of this project finished.

The PIC code be upgraded via the USB port, so the calculator can be added at a later time.

cheers

Tony
11-07-2017, 06:09 AM
(11-07-2017 04:42 AM)scrubbed Wrote:  I also would like one built and tested. I'm thinking I may want the USB to be installed, fully built, and tested.

What are the physical dimensions of this unit, with and without the USB? Does presence of the USB greatly change the unit's physicality?

Thank you so much!

The PCB measures approx. 12cm x 6cm with USB parts included.

cheers

Tony
11-07-2017, 06:16 AM
Tony,

count me in with one.
11-24-2017, 11:36 AM
Hi all,

Just an update on the multi calculator kit.

I have all the parts as of today, and am still waiting on the PCBs to arrive.

I have been asked to do 2 weeks flying at Coober Pedy to fill in for a pilot who wanted to go home early. In my spare time, while I am here I will finalise some additions to the software and check over everything.

I am about half way into rewriting the HP-10 KISS microcode, somewhat difficult, and expect that will be ready by the time I get home.

The PCBs should be delivered by then and I will build and test a working model.

The prototype so far seems to be working fine.

cheers

Tony
11-24-2017, 10:20 PM
Is the microcode in any online repository?

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
11-24-2017, 11:18 PM
(11-24-2017 10:20 PM)pier4r Wrote:  Is the microcode in any online repository?

The original HP microcode that the emulator executes is available at various web places and from my emulators.

The PIC code is the machinery to get it all working. It now uses about 120KB of assembler code and is quite complex plus it can also interact and handshake with the PC emulator software. There is probably not much point in opening it up, but perhaps later on.

cheers

Tony
11-27-2017, 01:05 AM
Hi all,

Just a query before I delve into new depths of coding.

I was wondering how people feel about keeping the multi-calc kit working as original as possible.

I have had a query or two about being able to store/recall programs for non card reader models like HP-25, HP-34c etc.

I can do his if required, albeit a lot of coding, or I can keep things the way they were.

As most would already know, these models were not originally set up for loading or saving a program, so a program cannot just "appear" in memory or weird things can happen. Of course, the coding will take care of any house keeping.

cheers

Tony
11-27-2017, 02:31 AM
(11-27-2017 01:05 AM)teenix Wrote:  I was wondering how people feel about keeping the multi-calc kit working as original as possible.

Tony - Thanks for asking for input!

IMHO, these awesome clone devices need as a first priority to be completely compatible with existing machines and programs; I know you get this as you've gone to great lengths to achieve this with your emulators.

While features such as program import and export (to ease entering and sharing) are certainly handy and appreciated, they aren't essential and if possible to implement seamlessly (without affecting simulation fidelity), perhaps such features could be released in a subsequent update (assuming the f/w can be easily updated via USB or similar connection) so folks can rack up some miles and possibly find bugs in parallel with development of these enhancements. Actual use may also suggest other refinements as well.

Again, thanks for seeking input from the masses.

--Bob Prosperi
11-27-2017, 06:40 AM
I agree with rprosperi.

First a working release (that may still have a bug here or there , the project is surely not trivial ) , then new reasonable features that are always welcomed.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)