newRPL - build 1255 released! [updated to 1299]
02-10-2020, 02:38 AM
RE: newRPL - build 1255 released! [updated to 1299]
(02-08-2020 03:05 AM)Claudio L. Wrote:  I haven't posted in a while here so here's an update on what's going on with newRPL:
Currently the project is undergoing some necessary cleanup and reorganization in the code, that's why there's silence and no new features are coming out.
Soon there will be an update that fixes a few bugs, and makes the firmware update procedure much more stable on all platforms.
It adds more consistency in some operators, adds more universal support for units on most commands. As far as numeric solvers, the only new thing is the QR decomposition was implemented and the roots of polynomials now manages the tolerances better so it doesn't stop at high degree polynomials.
Regarding the graphics engine: It's on hold for the time being. No, it does NOT have a tortoise (or any other lettuce-eating reptile).
Graphics commands actually get compiled in a very tight format and create plot objects. Plot objects are vector graphics, so you can plot a function once, then zoom in and out of that plot object without seeing pixelation. Of course at some point if you zoom in you'll have to re-plot the area increasing the point density to get an accurate plot. But the idea is that:
a) Plot objects aren't limited by the screen size, or the screen resolution. They even support color as they are implemented.
b) Plot objects can be rendered to different "surfaces", for instance you could render the same object to the 50g screen, or to a PNG file on an SD card, or to a bitmap (grob), or even exported to other vector formats like svg.
Right now plot objects are implemented and working. Rendering a plot object to a is bitmap is the part that's still not implemented completely (I got stuck at rendereing bezier curves when I decided to spend more time on other areas of the project).

And the best part, here's the plan for 2020 (and beyond, I'm not saying all this will be done in 2020):
* Continue the code cleanup and reorganization.
* Add a complete graphics library that can draw in color and grayscale. This library will also be the basis of the renderer for plot objects and for the UI.
* Reorganize the UI to be flexible (to use different screen resolutions and color as well). This will allow newRPL Desktop to take advantage of the PC screen and not be limited to the simulated 50g grayscale screen.
* Add support for touch in the UI, so the PC and Android ports can use touch devices if available for the UI, not just on the simulated keyboard.
* Attempt an HP Prime port of newRPL. Once newRPL supports touch and color and better screens, it's the logical next step to make it run on Prime G1 hardware (G2 hardware is out of question at the moment due to the need for hardware mods).
* Implement the long awaited INFORM replacement, so people can start creating full applications in newRPL.

It's a long road ahead, but I'm feeling optimistic this year. Stay tuned!
Thanks Claudio. My congratulations for this great project.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-10-2020, 07:39 PM
I think that to attract the use of this software to new users, it is important to operate in full screen (PC) and a very basic graphic library at the beginning. mark or erase a pixel, draw lines, arcs, etc ...
02-10-2020, 11:50 PM
(02-10-2020 07:39 PM)compsystems Wrote:  I think that to attract the use of this software to new users, it is important to operate in full screen (PC) and a very basic graphic library at the beginning. mark or erase a pixel, draw lines, arcs, etc ...

Yes, although let's be clear: newRPL isn't exactly going to win a popularity contest. It's a niche OS to preserve the RPL system, it will only be used by people with enough gray hair to understand what RPL is all about. Attracting new users isn't very high in the priority list, but making newRPL useful is, and so long as both popularity and usefulness remain aligned, newRPL will move in that direction.

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)