Is there a book like this on scientific/engineering math?
03-26-2014, 06:30 PM
Is there a book like this on scientific/engineering math?
I took a ton of math classes in college grumble mumble decades ago. I got passable grades in diffeq, calculus, linear algebra, numerical methods, etc. Years went by I never used any of this fun stuff again except for the trig and that only for a couple of projects at work. I would love to find a book on practical engineering or scientific math that covers all the high points while starting from the assumption the reader understands basic algebra but not more than that. I want a refresher on differential equations, integration, curve fitting, etc.

I know there are thousands of specialized heavy-duty books targeted at math and science majors on myriad subtopics but is there a book that gives good general coverage without requiring much background? I have forgotten so much I think I need to start over again.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-2014, 08:40 PM
RE: Is there a book like this on scientific/engineering math?
I think this is what you're after :-)

Advanced Engineering Mathematics
by Erwin Kreyszig
03-27-2014, 01:33 AM (This post was last modified: 03-27-2014 01:34 AM by BarryMead.)
You may also find it useful to visit the kahn academy https://www.khanacademy.org/

Where you can select specific lessons on those areas you wish to brush up on. Or you can move on
beyond what you already knew to new heights in mathematical knowledge.

Have fun, Barry
03-27-2014, 07:02 AM
(03-26-2014 06:30 PM)HP67 Wrote:  I know there are thousands of specialized heavy-duty books targeted at math and science majors on myriad subtopics but is there a book that gives good general coverage without requiring much background? I have forgotten so much I think I need to start over again.

When I went back to school I picked up a copy of the previous edition of "Mathematical Techniques" by Jordan and Smith (Mathematical Techniques). It covers the usual undergraduate engineering maths quite well, in a reasonable style.

I also picked up a copy of "All the Mathematics You Missed" by Garrity (All the Mathematics You Missed). It has a lot less detail, but is quite readable as a refresher.

--- Les
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-27-2014, 07:27 AM
Thanks gents. I'll look over all your suggestions!

03-27-2014, 10:39 AM
Actually, you could probably write a book on Numerical Methods, by going through section of the code for the WP34S.

Back in my University days, I can recall studying Newton & Halley methods for square roots. Division? Logs? Don't make me laugh.

I have a copy of Knuth's "Semi Numerical Methods" but either I'm slow or that book is too deep. Whatever you get, I hope you can "dip in" to different topics without getting overwhelmed.
03-27-2014, 12:53 PM
(03-26-2014 08:40 PM)colinh Wrote:  I think this is what you're after :-)

Advanced Engineering Mathematics
by Erwin Kreyszig

I endorse this book as well. Got a copy in college from a Professor's recomendation (the same guy, with his HP-65, that single-handedly started me on the HP calculator trail) and have used it off and on since then. Very direct, clearly written, with useful examples. Some, but not too much theory, focuses more on application of basics (calculus, vectors, tensors, imaginary, etc.) in engineering usage, and also includes lots of matrix stuff, plus a good selection of numerical methods. Recommended.

--Bob Prosperi
03-27-2014, 07:10 PM
Thanks gents. Noted.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)