(Free42) Printing of editing changes
01-13-2018, 01:11 PM
(Free42) Printing of editing changes
(Free42 v2.0.10, iOS)
Ever since v2.0.10, and possibly before, I noticed the printer annunciator briefly lighting up all the time; I checked the printer menu, PON was selected (strange. I certainly did not switch this on), so I clicked POFF.
So now, the stack trace has gone, but each and every edit change I make to a program is still being printed to the Print-Out window.
So, checking the PRINT menu again, I see that printer mode NORMAL is selected. When I switch that to MANUAL, the edit changes are no longer printed - but they shouldn't be printed in the first place because POFF (PROFF) is selected?
Or so I Think. Thomas?

Cheers, Werner

41CV†,42S,48GX,49G,DM42,DM41X,17BII,15CE,DM15L,12C,16CE
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-13-2018, 01:50 PM
RE: (Free42) Printing of editing changes
(01-13-2018 01:11 PM)Werner Wrote:  (Free42 v2.0.10, iOS)
Ever since v2.0.10, and possibly before, I noticed the printer annunciator briefly lighting up all the time;

In 2.0.9 (which was followed by 2.0.10 the same day) I changed the behavior of the print annunciator, making it stay on for one second after printing stops. The objective is to make sure the user will notice when printing happens; with the old behavior, printing was easy to miss because the annunciator would typically flicker on and back off so quickly that it was hard or even impossible to see.

(01-13-2018 01:11 PM)Werner Wrote:  I checked the printer menu, PON was selected (strange. I certainly did not switch this on), so I clicked POFF.

Versions 1.4 to 2.0.2 set flags 21 and 55 on cold start. The idea was: since Free42 has a printer built-in, it might as well be enabled by default.
I have come to realize this is wrong, because it can lead to unexpected behavior, which can be really hard to diagnose if you don't realize that printing is happening (see my point about the print annunciator, above), so in version 2.0.3, I changed it back to original HP-42S behavior... but since the behavior in question only happens at cold start (i.e. at Memory Clear or State File Corrupt), any Free42 instance that was last reset when it was between 1.4 and 2.0.2 may still have the printer control flags set according to the then defaults.

(01-13-2018 01:11 PM)Werner Wrote:  So now, the stack trace has gone, but each and every edit change I make to a program is still being printed to the Print-Out window.
So, checking the PRINT menu again, I see that printer mode NORMAL is selected. When I switch that to MANUAL, the edit changes are no longer printed - but they shouldn't be printed in the first place because POFF (PROFF) is selected?
Or so I Think. Thomas?

Indeed. In POFF mode, there should be no printing, ever.
I'll fix that in 2.0.11.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)