HP Prime vs TI-84 Plus CE for Jr. High and High School
07-07-2018, 10:46 PM
RE: HP Prime vs TI-84 Plus CE for Jr. High and High School
How long would it take me to learn the Prime, in light of the fact I've been an HP calculator enthusiast since my 28S in 1989? Probably not long, but my workplace is 1.5 hours from home and I get home late. My daughter especially usually has her homework done by then, and she extensively collaborates with her classmates online during that time, and even with her teacher. If she relied on me, it would not be as good a situation as if she had active help from her teacher and other classmates who also used the same calculator. You could argue "that would only be until she has learned the calculator," but in light of the complexity of this advanced calculators, that would probably take more than a couple semesters of a school year.

That's not to say I am avoiding buying the Prime though. I am just typing out what is running through my mind. So thank you for the suggestion.

As to the suggestion that I should be a used and cheap TI calculator along with the Prime, that is a consideration when sellers are willing to ship to me here in Japan, and at a decent shipping rate. Not all EBAY sellers do that, and some charge a cheap price for the actual product but then stab you for the shipping. But thank you for the suggestion as I shall consider that.

I would also like to mention that I've been chatting with some calculator reviewers on YouTube, getting their advice. One fellow suggested Numworks, but in my mind that is the same situation as getting a Prime over the teacher-recommended TI. Anything other than the TI would be support and calculator teaching that I would need to deal with. I am not opposed to it, but I may not be able to offer that advice to my kids at the very moment they need the assistance, and honestly, I would prefer them not staying up to the wee hours of the night doing homework only because they needed to wait for me to get home to ask questions.

Again, thank you for your input. I find it very helpful.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP Prime vs TI-84 Plus CE for Jr. High and High School - JDW - 07-07-2018 10:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)