I'm tired of all the gripes...
05-11-2019, 10:01 PM
RE: I'm tired of all the gripes...
(05-11-2019 05:54 PM)jebem Wrote:  People need to feel safe when buying something, knowing that any issue will be fast and efficiently handled by another human being in a front desk, and not spending hours on the phone talking to a machine and talking to a call center 5000 miles away that will ask you to return the goods which forces you to pack the damn thing and travel to a post office to do what the shop should be doing for you in first place.

Sadly, it's not even that easy. HP marks all product pkg. (and same info is encoded in the s/n) to indicate what market it was intended for (USA, Europe, Latin America, etc.) and the warranty for that product can only be handled by customer/technical support in that market; further, most of those will only help you if you can verify (sales receipt?) that you also purchased the product within that market as well.

So, folks buying grey market here in USA (there are units destined for Latin America for sale on eBay, now from/for USA market) and also those buying from the several UK-based e-tailers, have no warranty or technical support options. The good news is the Prime is very well made and reliable and it appears that extremely few units have failed and/or need warranty care/exchange.

So, as in many, many other instances, it's really not a global economy, but rather several local economies that can instantly see what each other can buy, but can't also buy those items under the same terms. The only option we have as consumers is to notify the Mfr. of our displeasure and then not buy products that are treated this way, to let the Mfrs. know it's not acceptable. But of course that won't happen in the markets where the product is currently available, because it is currently available there and local folks there see no problem.

Of course HP is hardly the only Mfr. that does this; if anything it's becoming more and more common in more product category areas and everywhere around the world.

Sad and Huh

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
I'm tired of all the gripes... - smp - 04-11-2019, 07:40 PM
RE: I'm tired of all the gripes... - DGM - 04-11-2019, 09:18 PM
RE: I'm tired of all the gripes... - DrD - 04-12-2019, 09:32 AM
RE: I'm tired of all the gripes... - math7 - 07-25-2020, 02:01 AM
RE: I'm tired of all the gripes... - Aries - 04-13-2019, 09:18 AM
RE: I'm tired of all the gripes... - dan_h - 05-11-2019, 03:18 PM
RE: I'm tired of all the gripes... - jebem - 05-11-2019, 05:54 PM
RE: I'm tired of all the gripes... - rprosperi - 05-11-2019 10:01 PM
RE: I'm tired of all the gripes... - Han - 05-30-2019, 02:36 PM
RE: I'm tired of all the gripes... - ji3m - 08-23-2019, 01:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)