I'm tired of all the gripes...
05-13-2019, 04:41 PM
RE: I'm tired of all the gripes...
I switched from not liking the Prime to loving it, so I'll add my (not requested) opinion on the matter!

I have the first revision and I went through all the firmware updates, including one that changed the bootloader and made it difficult for me to upgrade. Some nice guy from HP helped me resolve the issue on this forum!

At first I didn't like the Financial app and I missed the 3D Graphing. They beefed up the Financial app and they also added a very nice 3D Graphing App that solved those issues.
I also didn't like the touch gestures because you couldn't pinch to zoom. Now you can pinch to zoom in 1 or 2 axis depending on the direction of the pinch, and the scrolling is much smoother!
The first revisions were buggy and crashed often. Now it's been a few months without crashes, and I see that as a win.
The software support for Mac was lacking, now I have a fully functional software for Mac and I don't have to use my Windows virtual machine to upgrade the firmware, another win here.
All in all I think the platform has grown and matured to a point that I find fully satisfactory for my needs and tastes.
The "washed out" colors on the keys, I know the second hardware version has better contrast but I find the old washed out colors more elegant even though they are less readable. I use my calculator on the desk with proper illumination so I rarely have readability issues with that and I don't feel the pressure to upgrade to the G2.

Also, as a software guy, I have a soft spot for the HPPL which I really like! writing software for it feels very natural to me. The only other language that would capture my interest would be Python. It would be great to have proper full Python on the calculator, the Numworks looks tempting for this reason but I don't like that calculator so much, it looks good for programming but not that great for everyday use.

That's all based on my personal taste and experience so your mileage may vary, as they say Smile

Antonio

Software Failure: Guru Meditation

--
Antonio
IU2KIY
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
I'm tired of all the gripes... - smp - 04-11-2019, 07:40 PM
RE: I'm tired of all the gripes... - DGM - 04-11-2019, 09:18 PM
RE: I'm tired of all the gripes... - DrD - 04-12-2019, 09:32 AM
RE: I'm tired of all the gripes... - math7 - 07-25-2020, 02:01 AM
RE: I'm tired of all the gripes... - Aries - 04-13-2019, 09:18 AM
RE: I'm tired of all the gripes... - dan_h - 05-11-2019, 03:18 PM
RE: I'm tired of all the gripes... - jebem - 05-11-2019, 05:54 PM
RE: I'm tired of all the gripes... - TheKaneB - 05-13-2019 04:41 PM
RE: I'm tired of all the gripes... - Han - 05-30-2019, 02:36 PM
RE: I'm tired of all the gripes... - ji3m - 08-23-2019, 01:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)