Adaptive Simpson and Romberg integration methods
03-26-2021, 08:22 PM
RE: Adaptive Simpson and Romberg integration methods

To: robve

(03-26-2021 06:41 PM)robve Wrote:  
(03-25-2021 11:57 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  Note: In everything that follows, no offence is ever meant, it's just my trademark style when I feel skeptic (let's say) about some statement or other, in particular if not supported by facts. IMHO, of course.

No offense. [...]

I am not sure what to think of statements like that and the references to "my method", which I never have used. I noticed that "your method" pzer on the HP-71B in every detail implements the standard Weierstrass / Durand-Kerner method for polynomial complex root finding aka "root polishing". I easily spotted this, because of the way you've set up the initial roots and the root polishing. Yet, nowhere is Durand-Kerner mentioned in your article. Further, it is the most bare and simple implementation.

What does this have to do with the integration methods we were discussing in this thread  ??!!?

Is this intended as some kind of retaliatory ad-hominem attack by implying I don't give due credit or something ? Have you read my 40+ articles and noticed how they're being construed for the last 20+ years ?

Why would you do this, other than because you did take offence despite you denying it ?

For the benefit of the readers, robve sent me a PM almost a month ago about this and I kindly replied the following to him on 03-10-2021, 12:06 AM, that he seems to have forgotten. I quote my PM reply to him:
  • "My articles are intended as just that, articles to be published in a physical fan-made magazine [...] or else on the WWW (MoHPC) for all kinds of fans, most of them not scholars, so my articles do not have the structure nor goals of a formal peer-reviewed paper.

This means I usually include a brief Introduction, then the program Code, usage Instructions, several fully-worked Examples an some Notes.

This already takes vast amounts of my free time (about 1 month per article, from the idea to the finished PDF ready for publication, including testing) so I simply can't allocate more time to also include Algorithms, Formulae and References, as I would do for a formal paper intended for a peer-reviewed publication and a vastly different target audience."

Seems robve forgot or simply didn't want to ruin his uncalled-for ad-hominem attack by including my reply here.

Quote:There is actually more we can do beyond the basics, such as 1) removing trailing (in the code, leading in the poly) zero coefficients before polishing the roots, since these do not contribute to the result; 2) reject insignificant nonzero real or imaginary parts in the roots finally found. These require a little bit of code and incur almost no overhead. These additions are quite easy and often found in implementations.

Again, this is but a very poorly disguised attack on the quality of my implementations by mentioning that they're basic and can be easily improved. He seems to have conveniently forgotten (again!) my reply to this in the very same PM or else he doesn't see fit to include it here, so I'll do it myself. I replied to him:
  • "One other thing: as creating an article takes so much time, once created I don't allocate any more resources to try and improve it or research it in any way, I simply jump to the next article because that's the only way I can get things moving forward, else I would still be researching and optimizing my article Minimax Polynomial Fit (recommended).

Right now I've completely put aside the PZER 71B article and I'm working on two other unrelated ones simultaneously, which right now are 50% and 25% complete so they'll be uploaded and announced next April/May.

In short: I don't optimize or allocate more time to past articles. I dedicate a fair amount of time to them while creating them but afterwards (except to correct blatant errors) I have no time for them at all, so it's really fortunate that you're able to consider optimizations and I thank you for your interest in experimenting with them. Actually that's the whole idea: I publish something and interested people have a fair chance at non-trivial optimizations, having a good time while at it and possibly improving their knowledge and skills."

Also, I see that you haven't read or at any rate don't comment on my on-topic (integration !!) post #22, but that's irrelevant now.

Listen, I'm no fool and can clearly see by this post of yours a very many things that I'm itching to say but can't and won't discuss in public lest they'd be considered ad-hominens, but also I'm not a person to suffer them gladly as well, nor the kind of individuals who issue them, so please take note of the following:
  • I'm out of this thread. Whatever you may or may not reply, I won't read.

• Please do not PM me in the future. I won't reply to or reference any posts or PMs from you, except to notify the moderators in case you disrespect me.

• I was completing a new Short & Sweet Math Challenge #26 to be published within a week and two new Articles to be published on April 15 and May 1, respectively, but having suffered this more than once in the past, I am so fed up with people like you that I won't publish them and further I will quit for a while from the forum till the disgust recedes at seeing all my disinterested hard work and well-meant efforts being questioned with blatant bad intent by the ones like you.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Adaptive Simpson and Romberg integration methods - Valentin Albillo - 03-26-2021 08:22 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)