Comments and discussion on Valentin's 4th "Then and Now" - Area
01-21-2023, 12:34 AM
RE: Comments and discussion on Valentin's 4th "Then and Now" - Area
Hi, J-F Garnier and Albert Chan,

J-F Garnier Wrote:[...] for difficult problems it's sometime nice to see other's attempts to progress toward a solution. I would say that a 2-3 day delay is fine, it's not excessive, and we can still have the opportunity to share partial results towards a complete solution.

Actually, this is what happened here, Fernando and Werner identified the 'tiny area', Albert and I gave the correct 12-digit result (by different ways) of the main area, and I finally merged everything together.

I see. Thanks for your reasoned opinion, I think that I'll tentatively make do for a 2-day delay and I will see how it works. If most people get used to it, fine. If most people resent it, there will be no delays and thus the earliest bird will catch the worm.

J-F Garnier Wrote:Sorry, I missed that comment, anyway it was not bad to insist on this bug that not every HP-71B user may know or remember.[/b]

I agree. I said "well-known" but on second thought it might not actually be the case. Besides DIM U, you can also use U=0, say, the important bit being that variable U is created outside of the UDF.

Albert Chan Wrote:I vote for no delay, [...]

Of course you do. Your vote is duly noted.

Albert Chan Wrote:[...] and less rules [...]

Oh really ! And which rules would you want to see eliminated ? Perhaps

NO XCAS, MATHEMATICA, MAPLE, EXCEL, C/C++/C#, PYTHON, LUA, etc.,

or may be

NO LENGTHY MATH SESSIONS

?

Albert Chan Wrote:Many times, OT ideas are more interesting than original puzzle!

Is that so ? My, my ... Sad . Well, feel free to stop participating in my less interesting puzzles and post instead your own creations, surely you'll find them interesting enough.

Albert Chan Wrote:Whoever post solution first, already spoil the game ... but someone has to do it!

That much is obvious. But silly truisms aside, the delay is useful for the purpose I intend, which is to give interested but currently busy people a 2-day window of opportunity to try and work on their own solutions with no spoilers on sight.

Anyway, Albert Chan, I did notice that you didn't reply to my post but to J-F Garnier's, and matter of fact you didn't even deign to reply to any of the points and well-meant advice I gave you re your posts, so rest assured that in the future I won't offer again any further comments or advice to you re your productions.

V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Comments and discussion on Valentin's 4th "Then and Now" - Area - Valentin Albillo - 01-21-2023 12:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)