How to purhcase a fully working HP41CX on eBay?
04-05-2023, 04:54 AM
RE: How to purhcase a fully working HP41CX on eBay?
(04-05-2023 03:49 AM)John Garza (3665) Wrote:  Don't expect the 41C machines to stand the test of time like the classics do. The level of engineering and attention to detail is simply not there. This was a calculated business decision on the part of HP to keep the price down to competitive levels. After adjusting for inflation, the HP-65 cost about 5 times the equivalent dollars as a 41C. But at the time of the 41C, the market prices for programmable calculators kept dropping and could not support very expensive machines. I'm sure that if we were all willing to pay 5x what we did for the 41C, HP could knock the proverbial ball out of the park, and you could have something to give to your grand-kids.

-J

I would have paid more (way back then) for something more robust (then a poor college student). Perhaps HP performed a market study and or customer polls, leading them to build to a price point. The 41 and the 41 accessories costs were at the top of the market. And HP did not seem at all embarrassed their 41 offerings were priced high.

Can the same words be used to characterize the 75 and the 71 (as you said about the 41)?

On topic on broken 41s. The 41s I've came across were reparable except for a failed display driver. It required a donor from an already parted out 41. Broken fastener locations repair, replacing the flex circuit and cleaning LCD display zebra contacts, fortunately, has brought back 3 41Cs to 100%.

Feel lucky I have not had the bad luck of the OP.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: How to purhcase a fully working HP41CX on eBay? - TallKey - 04-05-2023 04:54 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)