Are there any "good" HP 30b keyboards out there??
05-08-2023, 02:33 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2023 02:37 AM by John Galt.)
RE: Are there any "good" HP 30b keyboards out there??
I have two unopened HP 30b calculators left to convert; one with a very old serial number and one very new. When I get around to converting them I might try the newer one first.

It's terribly disappointing to extract the calculator and test its keys only to find the one key that isn't 100% reliable. Of the 50 or 60 I converted about 10% were bad out of the box and in un-sellable condition. Those went in the trash can, leaving the slipcase and a few screws as the only salvageable parts.

Out of morbid curiosity I disassembled one, cleaned it, painstakingly reassembled it, after which the keys were 100% reliable. Unfortunately the original key feel cannot not be recreated. I can find no way to reassemble it without compromising the solidity of the original welded plastic studs. It's acceptable, but too mushy for anyone accustomed to the legendary HP ergonomics.

I might give that one away to a hobbyist, but it's not something I could comfortably sell.

Edit: My personal daily driver WP 34s is a 4CY02 and it's perfect.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are there any "good" HP 30b keyboards out there?? - John Galt - 05-08-2023 02:33 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)