Adhesive vinyl overlays - C47 & WP43 (DM42), WP3xS, DB48X, newRPL variants available!
07-26-2023, 11:52 AM
RE: Adhesive vinyl overlays - WP31S, WP34S, newRPL variants now available!
(07-26-2023 03:08 AM)spiff72 Wrote:  [snip]

The trouble with this approach (tab attachment - no adhesive) is that while it may work on MY calculator, it may not work on all DM42 calcs. From what I have read here and on the other forum, the height of the opening on these slots is quite variable.

I'm including an imgur link to some photos of the glossy test sample for your reference (I would use the matte finish for the real deal once I get everything figured out). It's a little rough around the key cutouts because I haven't dialed in the cut pressure on the Cricut machine yet - it was set for the vinyl/laminate combo.

This overlay looks excellent, it should be even better in matte finish.

Regarding the slits, they are are all the same height. What varies is folks ability to estimate sub 1mm heights accurately, which unless done carefully can indeed be non-trivial to measure. Also, as you noted on your DM42, the default label can be tight or slightly raised at the edges, depending on the proximity of the adhesive underneath, which can lead to seeing the slits differently.

IMHO, inf you're going to use labels with an adhesive back, I would not attempt to also use tabs, as installing this would be a nightmare, and is almost certainly not needed. If removal of the vinyl overlay were to lead to partial separation of the original bezel, which I think quite unlikely, it can be easily restores with thin double-sided tape as is often used for phone repairs. I don't recall any reports of a DM42 bezel coming loose, though 1 or 2 users have reported removing them early on, and they noted this is harder to do than expected.

Continued good luck, these labels are excellent and are helping the community adopt these various machines for daily use in their new personalities.

--Bob Prosperi
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Adhesive vinyl overlays - WP31S, WP34S, newRPL variants now available! - rprosperi - 07-26-2023 11:52 AM
C47 Overlay Update - spiff72 - 07-27-2023, 04:16 AM
Pricing Update - WP34S increase - spiff72 - 11-15-2023, 03:53 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)