Introduction and RPN calculator advice
08-22-2023, 08:12 PM (This post was last modified: 08-23-2023 12:24 AM by Steve Simpkin.)
RE: Introduction and RPN calculator advice
(08-22-2023 06:46 PM)NicolaB Wrote:  I've sent an answer but i don't see it published.

The 50g is above what i consider too bulky to quickly slide in the pocket, car, and so on. I have more than one RPN calc on both the phone and the notebook, but i keep them just to substitute the integrated algebraic calc when i don't have a physical calculator at hand. I've tried to go "software" but i have to agree with most HP users that a proper physical keyboard makes you work better and faster.
The very useful comparison table left me a bit puzzled because i was taking for granted that with all that cpu power and storage the DM32 and DM42 would only differ in the keyboard layout and the standard menus, being both capable of doing even coffee. Strangely enough it looks like the DM42 has matrixes, while the DM32 has fractions, equation list and unit conversions. Can you explain me why?

My understanding is the the HP-42S originally started out as a replacement/evolution of the HP-41 series. At some point expandability and I/O were dropped and the product design pivoted to be a replacement for the HP-15C. This would explain why the HP-42S (and DM42) programming paradigm is, for the most part, backwards compatible with programs written for the HP-41 series but also includes most of the complex number, matrix, solver and numeric integration functions from the HP-15C.

The HP-32SII, on which the DM32 is based on function-wise, evolved more from the mid-range scientific HP calculator line (such as the HP-11C) with enhancements. While it does not have matrix support, it does have some support for complex numbers, numeric integration and a solver. The algebraic equation list and solver may have evolved from the HP-27S.

The following HP calculator evolution tree, while not perfect, may help illustrate this lineage.
Diagram of Hewlett-Packard Calculator Evolution
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Introduction and RPN calculator advice - Steve Simpkin - 08-22-2023 08:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)