Introduction and RPN calculator advice
08-27-2023, 05:26 PM
RE: Introduction and RPN calculator advice
(08-24-2023 12:18 PM)NicolaB Wrote:  What i really don't understand is why you can't put a sub- or sub-sub- menu somewhere to provide what couldn't fit in the chip in 1980. For example, an upgradeable equation/constants/units library; matrix operations, and so on in every calculator.

You can, but can you do it well? Such additions easily lead to inconsistent, confusing and/or cumbersome UI. Getting it right turns out to be a lot of work.

The level of completeness found in a 50g comes from a large and long development effort. It is easier these days, there is more knowledge to draw from and more code to use. But there is no longer a large team in a large corporation doing these developments, there is just small teams and enthusiasts doing it in their spare time.

These relatively limited development teams may prioritize quality, polish, ease of use and ease of support over completeness. The last point is extremely important to SwissMicros especially: products that result in a lot of support work can kill small companies and this happens too often.

The great thing about programmable hardware is that enthusiasts can create software to fit their own needs and priorities. Some may decide to throw in everything with less regard for ease and consistency, and crucially no regard for support, instead of the more cautious approach a small company needs to take. Look into C47 and DB48x. Wait for the next gathering of the enthusiasts and see what gets presented there. Maybe find an open project and dive in yourself, if you want what doesn't quite exist.

What you really want may simply be Plus42 on DMCP, in that case it seems you're not the only one, but whether that will ever happen no one knows yet.

I want to run the 50g ROM on new, pocketable, hardware with good calculator keys. Will I ever invest the time to make it possible? Maybe, but it is a bit unlikely. Will someone else do it? Maybe. Will you do it? Maybe you will.

Have fun and please share what solutions you end up with :)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Introduction and RPN calculator advice - LinusSch - 08-27-2023 05:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 5 Guest(s)