To Jeff
09-23-2023, 01:25 AM
RE: To Jeff
(09-19-2023 08:43 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  I don't know if it's still true, but a few years ago, middle- and high-school textbooks often had calculator exercises with instructions for the TI-83 family. I've always thought that it would be useful for the community to create supplements for HP calculators so that students and teachers were more comfortable using a Prime with the textbook. For this to work, someone would have to do a little research to find popular textbooks to work on and we'd probably need some reassurance from HP, Royal or Moravian that they would publicize the supplements.

For the calculator itself, we can test and report bugs, including improvements to the help files and manual.

Dave

Dave,

Thanks for the solid comments. That textbooks include instructions for certain families of calculators is certainly true. There is a lot of momentum in the educational market. Many teachers are often stretched for time and would appreciate useful materials. One of the challenges in a project of this sort is getting all the parts to fit together: instructors, students, calculators, supporting materials (lesson plans, textbooks, manuals, videos, ...; workshops, conferences, ...), and education departments / boards / ministries. I've been involved a bit with some of this (as some has connections with software development). (But this is still somewhat outside my wheelhouse for this project, so please keep that in mind — I might not be exactly on-target with my reply.)

For those reading, I just did a quick Google search for HP Prime workshop / activities / courses and more than a few links came up... Here are just a few:
  • Mathematical Exploration with HP Prime (a 3-page PDF from Moravia, put together by Chris Olley; a very to-the-point example of how to use the Advanced Graphing app in a lesson), (I’d tend to think these sort of proto-lesson plans could be quite appreciated by busy teachers)
  • HP Prime Advanced Workshop (a 24-page PDF from HP; shows how the Geometry app, PPL, and the 1-var Stats app can be used in an education setting),
  • HP Prime Algebra Workshop Materials (a 21-page PDF from HP, put together by GT Springer; shows how the Advanced Graphing app, HOME, the Spreadsheet app, and the Geometry app can be used in an education setting), and
  • HP Prime Documentation Files (a web page with links to webinars, materials from summer institutes, workshops, ...), and
  • Expanded HP Prime Finite Math Course (a post on this forum about an HP Prime-oriented learning center).
(This is from a quick off-the-cuff search... There’s much more out there; this isn’t meant to be representative in any way, or to be read as me endorsing specific third-party materials or groups.) Putting together materials and getting it out there should certainly help! (Perhaps I’m showing my age what with all the PDF links... social media and video-sharing sites are certainly “a thing”. Wink)

(And, yes, reporting bugs is good. Myself, I've recently been busy mostly with tasks that wouldn't be directly reflected in the bug tracker. But I will be looking at bugs in the bug tracker; even just knowing of them can help improve overall development efficiency.)

Jeff
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
To Jeff - komame - 09-18-2023, 06:54 PM
RE: To Jeff - David Hayden - 09-19-2023, 08:43 PM
RE: To Jeff - jte - 09-23-2023 01:25 AM
RE: To Jeff - jte - 09-21-2023, 05:06 AM
RE: To Jeff - komame - 09-24-2023, 06:01 AM
RE: To Jeff - jte - 09-24-2023, 11:02 PM
RE: To Jeff - komame - 09-25-2023, 04:57 PM
RE: To Jeff - KlaasKuperus - 09-28-2023, 03:33 PM
RE: To Jeff - Tyann - 09-30-2023, 05:33 AM
RE: To Jeff - komame - 10-01-2023, 06:30 AM
RE: To Jeff - jte - 10-01-2023, 07:25 AM
RE: To Jeff - komame - 10-01-2023, 06:09 PM
RE: To Jeff - jte - 10-02-2023, 10:34 PM
RE: To Jeff - komame - 10-03-2023, 08:59 AM
RE: To Jeff - komame - 10-09-2023, 07:34 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)