Please can you beta-test this unusual Free42 skin
10-30-2023, 02:43 PM
RE: Please can you beta-test this unusual Free42 skin
(10-29-2023 12:04 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  Note that this is how the Plus42 PARSE function works already: it parses the equation, and then from the parse tree, it generates an RPN program.

This is pretty fascinating. Given that RPN is a lot like assembly (at least from my lay-person point of view), you are basically writing a compiler! It reminds me of a thread I started several years ago on the swiss micros forum. I was relatively new to programming these devices back then, but I do stand by my assertion that these machines are not optimal for programming. Having recently tried to implement a plus42-like TVM for my DM42 in NSTK mode, and spending a lot of time scrolling around looking for labels and having to draw out maps of what happens when certain GTOs are invoked etc..

But still, I guess it is hard to get that balance between a device that is so optimised for rapid calculations, like the HP-42s is, against an ability to program it easily while still being able to understand that program when you go back to it.

Anyway, if one day you do consider taking on this project, you can be assured you have at least one strong supporter of it here!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Please can you beta-test this unusual Free42 skin - dm319 - 10-30-2023 02:43 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)