HP 48 Series -- interseries compatibility?
11-24-2023, 11:16 PM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2023 11:18 PM by johnb.)
RE: HP 48 Series -- interseries compatibility?
(11-24-2023 06:20 AM)Werner Wrote:  You might want to give my GX library a try, that I wrote in another lifetime..
and, if you use SORT a lot, LSORT may come in handy, an almost 100% compatible SORT program, but way, way faster.

Cheers, Werner

Thanks, Werner!

What are some of the differences between you GX library and John Meyers' "LIST" routines? Are there things his has that yours does not, or is yours a proper superset? (I'm trying for completeness, hopefully to save myselfe some effort.)

Further News...

Buwahahaha! I have figured out the trick to getting RPL to recompile without my having to do fixups! For the benefit of others, the full procedure I followed is here below.

To copy programs from a G/GX to an S/SX:
  1. Back up your S/SX. Several different ways, preferably.
  2. Reset your S/SX to factory default. Not strictly necessary, but prevents the hassle of having to do a lot of renaming of objects and such. I like starting from a clean slate.
  3. Using the connectivity kit, load the librar(y/ies) that you will be using to add any missing GX functions to your S/SX.
  4. At this point, you either need to copy/move those routines from any subdirectories down to HOME so that every other routine can use those objects. Alternatively, you'll need to reorganize your directory structures so that your own directories are children of the parent directory containing the supplemental librar(y/ies).
  5. Connect your cable to your G/GX. Set both calculator and connectivity kit / port to ASCII. Back up all the objects you want to transfer, each one to an individual file. The only shortcut I can offer is that you can back up an entire subdirectory tree, starting at the root, to a single file. (For example, if you have HOME/CS, HOME/CS/WK1, HOME/CS/WK2, and HOME/CS/WK2/OTHER, you can simply back up the entirety of CS from the root directory to a single "CS" file and you will get all of it.)
  6. Ensure the integrity of your backup.
  7. Swap the cable over to your S/SX. Set both calculator and connectivity kit / port to ASCII.
  8. Using the connectivity kit, copy the ASCII files over to the S/SX. You can do this in a batch, as order of transmission seems to not matter.
  9. Give the calculator a few moments to gather its wits while you gather yours.
  10. Do some spot checks, but there should be no stray XLIB nnnn entries in any of your programs!
  11. If there are other things you need from your earlier backup of your S/SX, restore them.
  12. Enjoy! (If you haven't completely covered all the missing commands, you will still get errors but you are presumably now a lot closer than you were previously!)

Daily drivers: 15c, 32sII, 35s, 41cx, 48g, WP 34s/31s. Favorite: 16c.
Latest: 15ce, 48s, 50g. Gateway drug: 28s found in yard sale ~2009.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP 48 Series -- interseries compatibility? - johnb - 11-24-2023 11:16 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)