RPN83P: RPN calculator for TI-83+ TI-84+ inspired by HP-42S
12-04-2023, 03:29 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2023 04:13 AM by bxparks.)
RE: RPN83P: RPN calculator for TI-83+ TI-84+ inspired by HP-42S
(12-03-2023 02:45 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  I've just tried out version 0.7, but haven't tried earlier versions yet. I couldn't get the SHOW (2ND ENTRY) function to work. Perhaps it got broken on this version?

SHOW was added in 0.8.0, which I released an hour ago.
I have a convention of setting the GitHub 'default' branch to be my 'dev' branch instead of my 'master' branch (which contains the stable releases). So you were probably reading about SHOW in the dev branch, which applies to the upcoming release.

(12-03-2023 02:45 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  
  • 2ND ( could be used for ROLL UP.
  • 2ND ) could have the same effect as ) ) (X⇄Y X⇄Y), effectively terminating digit entry, similar to the ON/EXIT key on HP-42S. (Maybe not worth it as ) ) would be easier to press.)
  • If it is easy to do, could the leading 0 of decimal fractions between 0 and 1 be shown in fixed/normal mode (for example "0.1" rather than ".1")? (I suspect it isn't shown because the TI-83/84 routines do not show it either!)

Those are good suggestions. Though I am trying to be a bit conservative in commandeering an intrinsic button or key label from the TI keyboard, since it's easier to add a binding, rather than remove a key binding later.
  • Yeah, binding 2ND ( to RollUp is very tempting. On the TI keyboard, it is labeled left-curly-brace {. I had wanted to keep that character unused for now, just in case I want to use left-curly brace later. It's the character used for literal maps/dictionaries in JavaScript, Python, or JSON (e.g. {"name": "brian", "id": 2}), or for code blocks in C-style languages (e.g. { a=sin(x) }).
  • Ha, I never knew that ON/EXIT terminates digit entry on the HP-42S. (I looked, I couldn't find it in the HP-42S manual.) I should be able to add that in RPN83P. I think I would prefer that over 2ND ), which I think is harder to press than ) ).
  • Yup, I use the TI-OS FormReal() function, which does not print a leading zero. It has no option to print the leading zero as far as I know. I agree it looks a bit awkward, but the LCD screen real estate is limited to 16 characters, so the missing zero allows for one more significant digit to be shown. For the SHOW function, I actually implemented my own formatting code, but the SHOW format never needs a leading zero, since it always uses scientific notation for floating point numbers.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: RPN83P: RPN calculator for TI-83+ TI-84+ inspired by HP-42S - bxparks - 12-04-2023 03:29 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)