RPN83P: RPN calculator for TI-83+ TI-84+ inspired by HP-42S
12-04-2023, 06:19 PM
RE: RPN83P: RPN calculator for TI-83+ TI-84+ inspired by HP-42S
(12-04-2023 03:29 AM)bxparks Wrote:  
(12-03-2023 02:45 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  2ND ) could have the same effect as ) ) (X⇄Y X⇄Y), effectively terminating digit entry, similar to the ON/EXIT key on HP-42S. (Maybe not worth it as ) ) would be easier to press.)
Ha, I never knew that ON/EXIT terminates digit entry on the HP-42S. (I looked, I couldn't find it in the HP-42S manual.) I should be able to add that in RPN83P. I think I would prefer that over 2ND ), which I think is harder to press than ) ).

So I checked the HP-42S (actually Free42), and it seems like ON/EXIT terminates edit mode as a *side effect* of exiting the current menu bar. On my RPN83P, ON/EXIT affects *only* the menu hierarchy and has no effect on the edit mode. I actually prefer my implementation rather than the HP-42S, because if I'm in the middle of entering a number, I want to be able to navigate the menu without terminating the digit entry.

My question is: When is this feature used and how important is it? In an RPN system, I have rarely (if ever) needed to just terminate digit entry, for the purpose of simply placing it into the X register. When I enter a number, I usually (always?) want to apply an operation to that number.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: RPN83P: RPN calculator for TI-83+ TI-84+ inspired by HP-42S - bxparks - 12-04-2023 06:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)