RPN83P: RPN calculator for TI-83+ TI-84+ inspired by HP-42S
03-03-2024, 10:21 PM
RE: RPN83P: RPN calculator for TI-83+ TI-84+ inspired by HP-42S
(03-03-2024 07:30 PM)johnb Wrote:  LOL! As I presume you're either a professional software engineer like me, or else a professional-caliber amateur with the time occasionally on his hands to do things right

Retired software engineer, who used to be a physicist. Retirement means that I can do things more "right". But I also have more projects than I can finish in my lifetime, so I still have to force myself to be happy with "good enough".

(03-03-2024 07:30 PM)johnb Wrote:  I'm really looking for a project that I can gain traction on quickly

Are you looking for a *calculator* project, or a general programming project? Calculator programming seems to have a LOT of friction. The manufacturers don't want to support it, or are actively hostile against it. They consider calculators to be educational devices, instead of professional devices, so the anti-cheat requirements of school boards seem to be far more important than supporting a 3rd party development ecosystem. I don't know if programming the Casio calculators will be easier than TIs, but at least their hardware don't seem to be locked down like the TI calculators, at least not yet.

(03-03-2024 07:30 PM)johnb Wrote:  Actually, that pretty much answers exactly what I'm asking. It tells me (a) if I snag a Ti-89 titanium for my desired price range, I'll be happy I got it, and will enjoy playing with it and comparing results with my beloved HP's, (b) if I don't snag one I won't be heartbroken, and (c) regardless of the a/b outcome, I probably should grab me an 84+ and try out your application!

I recommend the 83+ Silver Edition as your best bang for the money. It's basically identical to the 84+SE (same CPU, same clock speed, same flash and RAM capacity, same features), and can be picked up for very cheap on the used market.

(03-03-2024 07:30 PM)johnb Wrote:  Nope, was not aware. By "89-T" do you mean the Ti-89 titanium? Sounds like I might need to acquire Yet Another Calculator.

Yes the 89 Titanium. I bought one on eBay. The screen is terrible. The font is too small, contrast is terrible, the screen surface is shiny instead of matte, so you are constantly angling it away from a light source. Some people say that the screen on the regular TI-89 is better, but there are multiple hardware versions of that model, so your mileage may vary.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: RPN83P: RPN calculator for TI-83+ TI-84+ inspired by HP-42S - bxparks - 03-03-2024 10:21 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 5 Guest(s)