"I have an annuity but I need cash now."
05-08-2024, 06:54 PM
"I have an annuity but I need cash now."
If you're in the US, you've probably seen ads on TV with the subject line in the jingle. The company says that if you have an annuity, they can give you cash now. I assume that they buy it from you ... and that they try their hardest to conceal that fact.

Here are two fun questions:
1. What is a fair price to get for an annuity? How would you calculate it? For example, if Joe is 40 years old and gets $100/month from an annuity, what is a fair price for him to sell it? If you aren't familiar with the term, an annuity pays a fixed dollar amount until you die and then has no value. In other words, your heirs don't inherit the payments. They simply stop.

2. Slightly harder: suppose you are due a pension and the company wants to buy it out. What is a fair price? How would you calculate it? For example, if Jane is 40 and is due to receive a monthly pension of $500 starting at age 65, what is a fair price to pay her today to buy it out?

You have to make lots of assumptions here. What are reasonable values for them?

I faced the second question several years ago. The company was offering about 1/4 of what I estimated to be a fair amount. I'm glad I didn't sell it. Smile

Dave
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
"I have an annuity but I need cash now." - David Hayden - 05-08-2024 06:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)