Report problems with CAS and its interface.
05-12-2024, 02:52 AM
RE: Report problems with CAS and its interface.
(05-02-2024 11:51 AM)compsystems Wrote:  Hello
When typing '(x^m)^n^p' and executing the input, and then retrieving it on the input line of the expression, when trying to step down from the exponent 'n' to include a parenthesis, the cursor location jumps to the end of the expression, it must be located before the variable 'p' not after
'(x^m)^n|^p' => '(x^m)^n^p|'

[Image: cas_hp_prime_p08_image00.png]

A similar sort of issue arises if one enters 1^2^3 and then tries to select the 1^2 portion. It is fairly typical for equation editors to apply / enforce / create / assume some structure to the input that is not visibly shown (e.g., with 1^2^3 there could be a tree structure in memory; the top node being "^" with a left child node of "1" and a right child node of "2^3"). I’m glad the the HP Prime editor does less of this than some editors I’ve experienced.

If one instead enters (1^2)^3 and then removes the parentheses, one can then reinsert them around the 1^2 (the top "^" node has "1^2" as the left child and "3" as the right child). (With this structure, selecting and copying the visible 2^3 ends up copying "^2^3".) Note that this equation editor structure does not override evaluation rules (one can try 3^3^3 with both editing structure — direct entry and by entering (3^3)^3 and then removing the parentheses).

Playing around with this just now, I do see something I’ll add to the bug tracker. (Enter "(1^2)" and then delete just the "1".)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Report problems with CAS and its interface. - jte - 05-12-2024 02:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 5 Guest(s)