HP35s Emulator for Android
05-23-2024, 12:26 PM (This post was last modified: 05-23-2024 03:33 PM by Vincent Weber.)
RE: HP35s Emulator for Android
(05-23-2024 12:13 PM)Marco Polo Wrote:  
(05-23-2024 08:08 AM)Vincent Weber Wrote:  The closest you will find, and which IMHO is much better than the 35S, is Plus42 (the paid version of Free42).
It already lives in my phone and work laptop since beta testing phase.
Even if i really appreciate the work of the author and the commitment in improving the program and solving bugs, i still have to find a way to fall in love with it.
It got several features of the 48 hammered inside, but imho it is a strange hybrid which lost the RPN simplicity without achieving the flexibility, coherence and customizability of RPL.
It almost has all the features i use, but i find it less usable that 48/50. I suppose it is a matter of the original HP42s user interface, which shows some limits with the increase calculator complexity

I like the 35s because it is simple if compared to the 50g and for simple number crunching it is more agile to be used, just like driving in a city with a small K-Car vs a full size SUV.
Anyway, recently i am being attracted by 11/15c ;-)
I personally find the 42S much easier to use than both the 35S and the 48/49.

Even when it comes to number of keystrokes, you can have sticky menus, and there are a lot of cases when you actually need less keystrokes than on the 35S.

There is no loss of RPN simplicity, RPN is right there, and if this is the only thing you want to use, you can.

It is the 35S that I find clumsy: half-baked complex numbers support, no way to split them, not even rectangular /polar conversions, horrible interface for base-n numbers, no meaningful names for programs, disgraceful numbered menus instead of soft keys, multiple bugs that makes it untrustworthy ... The only aspect in which it beats the 42s hands-down, I admit, is appeearance, those slanted keys à la 15C are way cooler!

And I find RPL to be way too much complicated to use. You spend your time focusing on stack administration, rather than on your algorithm!

For me, Plus42 is the right balance, what a successor to the 41 should have been, rather than the 48:retain all RPN simplicity, add I/O and the very nice equation-based language from the 27S and the 19BII with more advanced features, the rocks!

Matter of taste I guess Smile

Cheers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
HP35s Emulator for Android - Marco Polo - 05-22-2024, 04:56 PM
RE: HP35s Emulator for Android - DA74254 - 05-22-2024, 05:16 PM
RE: HP35s Emulator for Android - Vincent Weber - 05-23-2024 12:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)