HP Prime Beta Firmware Version 2.2 Revision 15008
07-20-2024, 01:29 PM
RE: HP Prime Beta Firmware Version 2.2 Revision 15008
(07-19-2024 08:57 PM)parisse Wrote:  I think that forcing *math* teachers to teach programming *exclusively* with Python is a big failure, comparable to the educational failure of the "maths modernes" in the 70's. The situation before Python was imposed was I think much better for most students, because the teacher could choose the language. Most teachers were using a much simpler programming language named algobox, and only those teachers that were really comfortable with Python used Python. You can't really teach if you are not comfortable with what you teach.
When I was at university, more than 35 years ago, one of our CS teachers was a math teacher. He was the only one to give me a below average rating during all my stay at U. He was unable to understand why I wrote a longer than he expected program to get better complexity. That can’t be generalized to all math teachers who switched to CS, but that nonetheless taught me a lesson: even as a student you have to adapt your level to some incompetent teachers (the good side is that they are a minority, but a minority that can harm motivated students).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: HP Prime Beta Firmware Version 2.2 Revision 15008 - ldesnogu - 07-20-2024 01:29 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 55 Guest(s)