OEIS featured in The New York Times
07-27-2024, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2024 07:51 PM by C.Ret.)
RE: OEIS featured in The New York Times
Bonjour à toutes et à tous.

I would like to intervene on behalf of Gil and John. Even though their discussion regarding the use this really esoteric language has made a small digression; their interventions allowed me to notice this very interesting subject that I had not seen last year.

Determining The Sisyphus sequence seems easy with a machine equipped with a JPC-ROM that, like other specific pocket computers, allows you to easily have the prime numbers in sequence. But what about a machine without this very opportunistic feature?

This is the question I asked myself and to try to explore the possible methods, I took my SHARP PC-1211 out of its hard case.

The first program proposed by Valentin led me to this adaptation:

 1: D=4.2424626 , W=10-Ǣ-7 , N=1 , P=1
 2: PRINT N : N=N/2 : IF N>INT N GOSUB 5 : N=2N+P
 3: GOTO 2 

 5: IF P<7 LET P=1+P+(P>2 : RETURN 
 6: P=P+INT D , D=10D-W*INT D , F=5
 7: F=F+2 , Q=P/F : IF Q<F RETURN 
 8: GOTO 6+(Q>INT Q

where Ǣ stand for the Exp key (10-exponentiation key)

As the SHARP PC-1211 is not fast, I tried to optimize things by determining the next prime number from a rudimentary generator of quasi-prime numbers. In reality, integers that are not multiples of 2, 3 or 5. Which facilitates primality tests based on divisibility by odd factors, thus starting only from 7.
[Image: Wheel%20factorization%20size%2030.JPG]
My code seems to work and list the integers of the sequence quite quickly (for this SHARP).

But I have trouble finding an efficient method to adapt the codes given by Valentin later. In particular, how to find with a PC-1211 the results obtained by an HP-71B without having to wait a century?

Any ideas or suggestions are of course welcome Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: OEIS featured in The New York Times - C.Ret - 07-27-2024 07:25 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)