HP-12c 'comma' variant (?brazil)
08-25-2024, 06:39 PM (This post was last modified: 08-25-2024 06:42 PM by dm319.)
RE: HP-12c 'comma' variant (?brazil)
I've done a bit more digging.

So the main features of the HP-12c in question are:
  1. Inability to switch from point to comma for radix
  2. Error 7 on IRR and NPV
  3. Inaccuracies and problems with TVM calculations

If you have a look at the official Brazil HP store, which sells the HP-12c, you can find reviews which suggest that people are obtaining these units through the official store.

Here is a photo of the 12c which exhibits unusual TVM behaviour:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=13849]
serial number: C1QP328

Here is a product photo from the HP Brazil website:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=13850]

They both have a tall '%' symbol, and they both do not have the 'Hewlett Packard' in the bezel.

This is the back of a unit as posted by a happy customer:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=13851]

Serial number C1Q328, made in China, and uses 2 x CR2032 batteries.

Overall there are 166 ratings on the official Brazil HP store, of which 13 are 1 star. So the majority seem happy with their purchase. However, if you look at the low-rating reviews, they mention similar things, all by customers who have apparently a confirmed purchase.

Here are a couple of google-translations:

"I DID THE ORINALITY TESTS AND NONE OF THEM WORKED. I BOUGHT ON THE WEBSITE TO AVOID THIS DEFECT AND THE BRAND'S OWN WEBSITE DOESN'T SEND THE ORIGINAL PRODUCT SHAME"

and

"This is the fourth calculator I have purchased and it is defective. They all came with an "Error 7" defect in the IRR calculation and does not change the comma punctuation. Even the warranty couldn't resolve it. I would like HP to contact me, so that perhaps we can resolve the situation and I can have a calculator that actually works. I am deeply disappointed, unfortunately!"

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
HP-12c 'comma' variant (?brazil) - dm319 - 06-28-2024, 09:28 AM
RE: HP-12c 'comma' variant (?brazil) - dm319 - 08-25-2024 06:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)