Single Quotes
10-22-2014, 04:32 PM
RE: Single Quotes
Thank you for your help.

Now I found the Quotes topic also in the help Tree: "Single quotes are used to enter algebraic expressions."

The behaviour differs between entry modes:

In Home RPN or Algebraic mode I can "Enter" an expression like '4/5' as expected. The quotes were displayed in middle position between 4 and 5.

Home Textbook however shows the left quote above the 4 and the right quote in middle position and shows "Syntax error"

In CAS (when Home Textbook or RPN is active) both quotes were shown like in Home Textbook, but I get the error message: (('4)/5)'

In CAS (when Home Algebraic is active) again it works as expected.

I didn't know that CAS Entry differs depending on Home settings!

For me it is difficult to understand all the rules behind this behaviour.

Thanks a lot. I'm trying to understand more and more of this very ambitious calculator.

By the way, whenever an Error dialog is shown, I always want to touch the big red cross to quit the dialog, instead of using the OK button. Perhaps because Dialogs in Windows, Linux etc. always contain the OK button within the dialog, and we are used to click inside.

When using Parenthesis or quotes, sometimes I want to insert them after having already entered an expression to enclose the whole expression belatedly. The best way I found to do this, is invoking the Chars menu two times instead of pressing the Quotes key twice and delete two quotes. Obviously the Prime cannot know whether I want enter a new enclosed expression or enclose the already present expression.

In contrast to PC applications, which are mostly overkilled with thousands of functions, accessible in different ways, by menus, tool bars, right clicks, often through a network of nested menu levels, the calculators user interface should be easy and clearly understandable. I would like to see, that in the domain of calculators, especially the high class ones, the developers should not forget to give us a User interface, that is most compact, well behaved and clearly understandable, and does not end up in PC like tangle.

Again, in my opinion the Prime is a very ambitious calculator.

Thanks

That's one small step for a man - one giant leap for mankind.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Single Quotes - PANAMATIK - 10-21-2014, 08:44 PM
RE: Single Quotes - Helge Gabert - 10-21-2014, 09:31 PM
RE: Single Quotes - Han - 10-22-2014, 03:29 AM
RE: Single Quotes - Marcus von Cube - 10-21-2014, 09:31 PM
RE: Single Quotes - Tim Wessman - 10-21-2014, 09:39 PM
RE: Single Quotes - PANAMATIK - 10-22-2014 04:32 PM
RE: Single Quotes - Tim Wessman - 10-22-2014, 04:49 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)