My WP-34S : USB to Serial cable prototype
01-24-2015, 08:42 AM
RE: My WP-34S : USB to Serial cable prototype
(01-23-2015 02:21 PM)jebem Wrote:  Welcome again to this nice MoHPC that I found just one year ago Smile

You did mention Wang Computers. Did you work for WANG at some point?
I did, for about 20 years in Europe (Belgium and Portugal).
Wang PCS, Wang 2200 series, Wang OIS series, Wang VS series, you name it.

Thank you, and thanks for the specific responses to my questions. Some of this will be off-topic, but bare with me, I'll try to keep it short.

I did not work for Wang. I did eventually complete a 25 year career with IBM as a Staff Software Engineer. I did spend many pleasant hours programming the Wang 700C series scientific programable calculator. You programmed that model the same way you program the WP34s. But, the Wang could also be programmed with OP codes by toggling them into memory one by one (as on the 8080 MITS Altair 8800) with toggle switches (on the high order) and push buttons (metal dome switches like HP keys) on the low order. I really think some of the pleasure I get from programming the HP35s goes directly back to my early programming experiences on the Wang 700C.

I am going to try to make a pogo plug (clips and all). In the mean time, I have absolutely no problem tinning the pogo pads and tack welding the six wires temporarily directly to the pcb on my experimental unit. In the long haul I think the pogo clip plug is the best overall solution and I'm looking forward to giving it a try.

Thanks again for your help. I'll post my own results too.

Good to chat with you.
Cheers,
Smile

Kind regards,
marcus
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: My WP-34S : USB to Serial cable prototype - MarkHaysHarris777 - 01-24-2015 08:42 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)