Some integrals with problematic evaluation
04-02-2016, 09:56 AM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2016 09:58 AM by quinyu.)
RE: Some integrals with problematic evaluation
Well, another motivation not to use/trust the emulator for testing. I have waited for at least 15 minutes on the real metal, pressing the occasional enter when the screen started to dim, as to prevent auto power off. For your interest: the 50g has no problems with it. The Classpad II, apart from putting the absolute value in the logarithm, doesn't have any issues either. The Nspire CX CAS however refuses to do it, no clue why... seeing that Derive can do it.

As of your question to the number of integrals tested: I'm done with the first three chapters of Timofeev's book (that counts 81+90+14=185, minus the few that I didn't feel there was a point checking, there being too many factors a, b, c, a', b', etc.), just started the fourth chapter, of which I checked 7 so far, the last one being the one I've just reported. I will proceed with the rest, as my time permits.

A not buggy but slightly interesting case was with the integral Int((x^(3/2)-3*x^(3/5))*(4*x^(3/2)-1/3*x^(2/3)),x). On the 50g, it created truly giant factors, because of wanting to bring everything to a common denominator; the answer was in fact correct, but almost unreadable. On the contrary, the Prime didn't do that, but refused to add up powers, so the answer had terms such as x^(1/10)*x^(2/3)*x^3. Is there any manner to unify powers? I know there can be arguments why not to ever do that, but presuming someone wants to undertake that risk?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Some integrals - parisse - 03-23-2016, 06:44 AM
RE: Some integrals with problematic evaluation - quinyu - 04-02-2016 09:56 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)