Possible death of calculators in education?
05-18-2017, 04:06 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2017 04:11 PM by EugeneNine.)
RE: Possible death of calculators in education?
(05-18-2017 01:56 PM)pier4r Wrote:  
(05-17-2017 01:39 PM)EugeneNine Wrote:  Droid 48 works fine on my 5" phone, sure the 'buttons' don't feel the same as the real thing but people anymore are used to a touchscreen so they don't care.

I can also run apps such as maxima or gforth no need to buy anything special.

Well surely a lot of apps run, because today smartphones are super powerful, but for the precision experience (especially when I don't want to correct myself every two seconds), there are differences. A keyboard, for many, will be always better than a touchscreen interface unless there will be a tacticle feedback.

I mean, if it would not be the case, the need for auto correct algorithms would not be there. Unless a calculator starts to have auto correct (hard), of course one can use it on a smartphone but a physical HID like the keypad with buttons will be better for long usage.

Sure, if one use the tool once in a while, no problem. Or if the tool is unique, like I cannot have a physical Free42 without spending the equivalent of several hp 50g.

Thats doable, I actually have this:
https://us.blackberry.com/smartphones/pr...y/overview

it just doesn't have the special buttons the 48 has. but you can buy phones with real keyboards.

Most people hate autocorrect anyway, I think it was implemented badly, it shouldn't start with the same dictionary for everyone, it should start out by not correcting then monitor what words you correct and start from there.

I have an old hp200lx I bought because the screen was bad, I plan to replace its guts with something like a respberry pi zero and a new display to use its case and keyboard. Maybe I should pick up a non working hp48 and do the same
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Possible death of calculators in education? - EugeneNine - 05-18-2017 04:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)